Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for Steve Geoffrey Thompson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby nathanjame » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather. He was born 15 July 1926 in Hemel Hempstead

According to my grandmother she thought her father Steve came to Manchester around 1954. He went on to become known as John and was a engineer. He died in Manchester in 1996.

I can't go back any further as I don't know how to access records in Hemel Hempstead.

I wonder if anybody can help.

Thanks.

Nathan
nathanjame

Re: Looking for Steve Geoffrey Thompson

Postby junkers » Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 pm

The best way would to look for a birth index entry on a website site such as ancestry or Findmypast (there is also the General Register Office) but I have been unable to find either a birth or death entry based on the information you have.
junkers

Postby meekhcs » Thu May 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Nathan

Having looked quickly at this there isn't a birth circa 1926 in Hemel Hemstead, but there is one in 1953. I also checked by adding the death year of 1996, andthing obvious came up.

You may have already done this, but if you haven't, I suggest before you do anything else, you write down as much detail you have about your Family, especially birth marriages and deaths, starting with yourself. You should always work backwards when compiling your Family History, proving everything as you go. Once you have done this you will find out where the gaps are, and work towards finding the answers.

I am guessing the info supplied by your Gran may not be accurate, so you need to speak to as many members of your Family as possible to see if anyone has any birth/marriage/death certificates hidden away that will help you.

By all means continue to ask questions on here and members will try and guide you BUT we will not discuss any Family who are still alive.

Note you may have to purchase some certificates to help prove your Tree. This can be done through the general register office website. At the moment certificates cost £9.25 each. Again people will help you on here with the reference numbers you would need.

If you know all this already I am sorry to have repeated it. Good Luck
meekhcs

Postby JMcK » Thu May 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Is it possible his family moved to Hemel Hempstead when he was a small boy and so he (or your grandmother) thought that was where he was born) as There is a Stephen G Thompson Mother’s maiden name EVERY registered 1926 Catherington

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

But, as above, you need to work your way back to him with a definite paper trail

Added. The parents of this guy stayed in Hampshire until their deaths, so perhaps not him. (Unless your grandmother is mistaken) which is why it is important to have a good paper trail!
JMcK

Postby KayFarndon » Fri May 04, 2018 8:23 am

Can I give you my thoughts on your problem please? You have a definite birthday for your ancestor, so how do you know this and can you be certain it is correct? Do you have a birth certificate for this information?

I would have thought that the spelling of Steve would be a fuller one, Steven or Stephen. Could it be the other way round with Geoffrey first and why was he later known as John? Do you know what his mother's maiden name was? On FreeBMD it will give the mother's maiden name and I have done a quick look for a combination of the names but will not add anymore as I do not want to confuse you.

If your grandmother has her marriage certificate this could give you a bit more knowledge as her father's true name should be on it. Let us know how you progress with it all.
KayFarndon

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am

KayFarndon wrote:If your grandmother has her marriage certificate this could give you a bit more knowledge as her father's true name should be on it. Let us know how you progress with it all.

Kay,
This depends on your definition of true.
My grandmother’s marriage cerificate stated her father’s surname was Howard, when in fact it was Banks, a surname he adopted when his father died, and his mother re-married. Another swopped his name from Thompson to Bailey willy-nilly for the same reason (in censuses he alternated! :D
Mick Loney

Postby brunes08 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Just a couple of things that might be helpful in understanding why we cannot always find the records we seek. For example, I have a relative who will always say she 'comes from' London. This is misleading in the extreme. She was actually born in Buckinghamshire and spent her formative years in Middlesex. She worked and later lived in Essex. All on the fringes of London but not technically in London so no use if tracing her life accurately. She is not deliberately misleading, it is just how she sees things.
My gt grandmother deserted her husband and children and had two illegitimate children with another man. When the daughter of this relationship married, she said her father was the legal husband of her mother. Clearly the stigma of illegitimacy was of concern to her. When the illegitimate son was born, gt grandmother lied as the details on the birth certificate snd the baptismal record are not true as she indicated she was the wife of the other man. They were never married and the relationship broke down after a few years.
So, I suppose, the moral of these little sagas, as suggested in a previous post, is not to believe all that you are told until you have checked every possibility.
brunes08

Postby elsabels » Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I cannot find a death entry for either Stephen/Steven G or John Thompson in the 1996 Manchester records
Can you be more specific about the area and date of death also the spelling of the forenames.

The only problem I see with the Catherington Hamps birth in 1926 is the registration...a birth on 15 July 1926 I would expect to be registered in the quarter July - Sept 1926 the one quoted is in the quarter Sept - Dec 1926

If it turtns out to be your gt grandfather someone is flexi with the truth......

Do not give up at this stage, someone will find the answer so you can move back.
elsabels

Return to General research queries