Moderator Control Panel ]

BRICK WALL: SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE IN THE 1790s.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

BRICK WALL: SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE IN THE 1790s.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 pm

I have a huge brick wall, and despite much searching and pondering, and a theory as to what happened, I cannot prove it. I am wondering if I could possibly be correct, and would love someone else to take a look. I do not usually stray far off-piste with my Tree, but this time, I am taking a real flier!!

My 3xGreat Grandmother was Dinah HARRIS. She married John HALL, a Coachman, at St Marylebone Parish Church, London in March 1815. They lived in several places across the UK, including Scotland, over the following years, and had six children. Dinah was literate. She died in Stourbridge, Worcestershire in May 1865.

Dinah was quite clear and consistent about her age and her place of birth. In both 1851 and 1861, the P/B is given as Long Compton, a village in South Warwickshire. She was 50, 59 and 69 in the 3 Censuses to 1861, and 74 when she died in 1865. This gives a D/B of between June 1790 and March 1792. But I have failed to find any sign of a Christening record for her in the village.

However, in the Parish Records for Long Compton, I have found one Christening for a Dinah during this target period. On 16 October 1791, a Christening took place for a Dinah, daughter of Ann FLETCHER, a Pauper, Base Born. Could this be my Dinah? There is also an earlier Christening, of a boy called Stephen, also a child of Ann FLETCHER, and Base Born. He was born in 1787 and died in February 1789. And to add even more complexity, there is a Christening in Long Compton in June 1804, for an Isaac HARRIS, the Base Born son of Ann HARRIS.

So far, I have failed to establish that an Ann FLETCHER of the period was ever married to anyone called HARRIS. One possibly relevant point however, is that my 3xGreat Grandparents John and Dinah HALL had some sort of connection with the nearby Warwickshire village of Barcheston - their 1st and 3rd children were Christened there in 1815 and 1818 - and an Ann HARRIS (of Willington in the same Parish) of the correct age profile to be Ann FLETCHER, was buried in Barcheston in November 1833, aged 66. I have also found an Ann FLETCHER, Pauper, buried in Barcheston on 12 September 1791. Either of these could possibly be Dinah FLETCHER’s mother Ann.

The other interesting aspect is that there was a large family called HARRIS living in Long Compton at the time, and they were Quakers. If the death of Ann FLETCHER in September 1791 WAS the mother of the baby Dinah, is it possible that the orphaned child was adopted by someone in the HARRIS family and that she took their surname?

I have found Parish Poor Law records for Long Compton on Ancestry, but there is no sign of any reference to Ann FLETCHER or her children. There are no records there for Barcheston or Willington.

As I said above, I know this is all a long shot, but I would be interested in views, or alternative ideas. I know from experience that it is possible to get too close, and to miss the blindingly obvious!

Many thanks,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: BRICK WALL: SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE IN THE 1790s.

Postby MayHam » Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi, Jane ~
Following is probably just a tangent but wondered if you had seen it?

1. Nehemiah Harris (mistranscribed as Harrik in this link) baptised 27 Oct 1793 to Charles & Ann Harris in Long Compton. Unfortunately, Ann's maiden name isn't listed and I couldn't find a marriage or siblings there.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id ... /001678911

2. Ann Harris, spinster of Long Compton, married John Walker of Long Compton on 1 Aug 1796. Witnessed by Eliz Sherly & Jos Woward. They had several children born there between 1797 - 1806.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id ... 00272802/1

3. A John Walker, 66, of Long Compton, was buried 6 Aug 1836.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id ... /000746567
MayHam

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu May 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi there,

No, I had not spotted these, but the first of the links in particular looks AMAZINGLY useful. Because the fifth of John and Dinah HALL's children, Christened in St James the Less Parish Church, Sussex Gardens in Paddington on 29 Oct 1828, was named Richard Nehemiah! I will look in more detail at these leads, but I rather think that you may have found a significant clue. I am very grateful, thank you so much.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu May 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Please can I say another HUGE thank you.

You were correct, and so was I, I am now sure. My out-of-left-field idea was right! I have found a marriage between an Ann FLETCHER (literate!) and a Charles HARRIS in Steeple Barton, Oxfordshire, in November 1792. Steeple Barton is close to the Warwickshire border, only a stone's throw from Long Compton!

And I have found a burial for Nehemiah HARRIS, aged 50, in St George's Hanover Square in 1842 (Cert. sent for!), and his address is 'Lownds Mews'. This is also the address of John and Dinah HALL in the 1841 Census, when John was a Coachman. Nehemiah was not there in 1841, but perhaps he moved in because he was ill. The Certificate will be revealing.

So increasingly, I am persuaded that you have provided a huge sledge hammer to break through my HALL/HARRIS Brick Wall. Wonderful! Thank you.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 pm

One additional point - I had looked for a marriage for Ann FLETCHER to a HARRIS, but FLETCHER was mistranscribed in this entry. I only found it because I was specifically looking for a marriage of a Charles HARRIS to an Ann!

J
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MayHam » Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Congratulations! So happy for you!
Thanks for sharing your good news.
MayHam

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

When Nehemiah's Death Certificate turns up, I will post what it says. I am hoping that Dinah will be the person who notifies the death. If it is and it says 'sister' then I am home & hosed, although it looks pretty solid anyway.

I have also just applied to Oxfordshire Studies Centre for a copy of the Marriage Licence for Ann & Charles. That may take a bit longer, but will also be interesting. Ann's name on the index was mis-transcribed as 'ATCHER', with the capital F and the L being totally mis-read. I attach an image (I hope!).

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Sorry, image doesn't want to load....
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MayHam » Fri May 04, 2018 5:02 pm

It's ok, thanks for trying. Was able to find a transcription of Charles & Ann's marriage certificate on FindMyPast. It says he is from Kings Sutton, Northton and Ann is from Barton, Oxfordshire.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id ... /0598/27/1

There was also a Thomas Holt Fletcher, s/o Ann Fletcher, baptised 17 Mar 1811 in Beckley, Oxfordshire.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id=R_961438090

As well as, Samuel Fletcher, s/o Ann Fletcher, baptised 6 May 1786/7 in Long Compton, Warwickshire.
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id=R_947502272
and
https://search.findmypast.com/record?id ... /001679879
MayHam

Postby meekhcs » Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 pm

To put May Ham's latest findings in context Barton is a suburb of Oxford laying just outside the northern ring road from Headington. Beckley is a village accessed via the road out through Barton and is only 2.5miles away.
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries