Moderator Control Panel ]

BRICK WALL: SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE IN THE 1790s.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: BRICK WALL: SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE IN THE 1790s.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 am

Hi MayHam,

Thanks for the additional updates. It is really kind of you to spend the time.

I am sure that the boy born in c May 1787 and Christened on 6 May was Dinah's older brother. The child is the son of Ann FLETCHER, and like Dinah, 'Base Born'.

The images for the Parish Records are very faint at that point, but having photo-shopped them, I am pretty sure it is Stephen, rather than Samuel, and that he died in February 1789. A Stephen FLETCHER was buried on 27 Feb in Long Compton.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MayHam » Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 am

My apologies, Jane. I thought that birthdate sounded familiar. Good work.
Thank you, too, meekhcs. I hadn't checked some of the distances beforehand. Thanks for your help.
MayHam

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 am

Dear MayHem,

Another HUGE thank you! The Death Certificate for Nehemiah HARRIS arrived this am, and it is spot on.

Nehemiah died on 17 May 1842, aged 50, at No 2, Lowndes Mews, Belgrave (St George, Hanover Sq Reg District). He was a Blacksmith and he died of Cancer of the Stomach. And the informant was Dinah's husband, John HALL, who had been present at the death.

So, Nehemiah is beyond doubt, Dinah's half brother. I am now waiting for the Marriage Licence of Charles HARRIS and Ann FLETCHER in Steeple Barton. That will probably arrive by email tomorrow, when the Oxfordshire Records Office is open again. They have been very helpful incidently. (Also, just for note, this is the little village of Steeple Barton, rather than the Oxford suburb of Barton. Steeple Barton is, as I mentioned above, only a stone's throw from Long Compton, just south east of Chipping Norton.)

I will post again when I have the Licence.

Kind regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MayHam » Mon May 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
MayHam

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Dear MayHem,

The final part of the evidence is now here, and I am pretty sure it is conclusive that this too is correct.

The Licence was applied for on 29 Nov 1792. Charles was a Labourer, aged 22 and upwards, from Kingsutton, Northants, and he marked. Ann was apparently aged 23 and upwards, and currently living in Steeple Barton. But the fascinating thing is that Charles HARRIS's 'buddy' who signed the application with him, was a farmer called Mark HUGHES from Long Compton. That provides a clear connection back to Long Compton, and the Christenings of Dinah and of Nehemiah. So I am now pretty confident that Charles is Nehemiah's father.

Also, now with an occupation for Nehemiah, I am pretty sure I have found him in (of all places) Bakewell, Derbyshire in 1840 (newspaper) and 1841 (Census). I don't think he was married.

I have also, I am pretty sure, found Ann, going back. But it presents another conundrum! So I shall post separately on it, in a week or so (after I return from a break away!)

Meanwhile, thank you so very much. Your super clue has driven me back another generation, and broken through a brick wall that I was afraid would be impossible to breach!

Kind Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MayHam » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

That's lovely of you, Jane. So happy for you!
MayHam

Previous

Return to General research queries