Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage: ALLEN / LUCAS 1854

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage: ALLEN / LUCAS 1854

Postby Lynden » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:22 am

Looking for help with my brick wall please – the marriage of Frances LUCAS to Henry A (possibly Andrew) ALLEN in or around 1854.

Frances LUCAS (bapt 7 Nov 1826 at Maughold, Isle of Man) was the daughter of Thomas Edward LUCAS and Ann Lucas nee CHRISTIAN, and lived at Lewaigue on Isle of Man at least until 1851 Census, where she is listed with the rest of her family. After her marriage in or around 1854 and by 1856, she and Henry settled in San Francisco, where he died in 1865 and where she died in 1883. His obituary gives a marriage date of 1854.

I have checked the Isle of Man records and cannot find a marriage anywhere for Frances. Henry was an American and was an officer for the Liverpool Packet Shipping Line. I presume Ramsey on the Isle of Man was a regular port of call for him and that this is where they met. The Lucas’s appear to have been a fairly well-off and well-known family on the island but I can find no mention of Frances’ marriage there. There is the possibility that Frances married away from home, but I can find no suitable candidates either in UK or US. Without a record of their marriage I am unable to trace Henry’s family any further as there are too many Henry Allens in US records.

As an aside, does anyone know if the records of the Liverpool Packet Line are still extant?

Any help very gratefully received,
Lynden
Lynden

Re: Marriage: ALLEN / LUCAS 1854

Postby woodchal » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm

1860 US census would suggest that she was younger.

Henry A Allen M 33 Conn
Frances Allen F 28 Isle Of Man
Laura F Allen F 4 Cala
Julia Allen F 2 Cala
Anne Allen F 1 Cala

"United States Census, 1860", database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDKC-9R5 : 13 December 2017), Frances Allen in entry for Henry A Allen, 1860.
woodchal

Postby sdup26 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:46 pm

If Henry thought Frances was 28 in 1860 (she was baptised 1826 so was 34) maybe he was similarly vague about a marriage year. Have you tried the Isle of Man records listed on the website www.dustydocs.com?
sdup26

Postby Lynden » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you Woodchal and Sdup26 for your replies. I have looked at all the online records I can think of, (including dustydocs) but have come up blank for this marriage.

Oddly the family appear to be enumerated twice for the 1860 Federal Census. In addition to the details noted by Woodchal there is also:

Henry Allen M age 45 seaman bn Mass
Fanny Allen F age 30 seamstress bn Isle of Man
Lora F Allen F age 4 California
Matilda Allen age 2 California
Anne L Allen age 1 California

United States Census, 1860", database with images, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDKH-PXZ : 13 December 2017), Henry Allen, 1860

Note: Matilda was baptised Matilda Julia. Both are for San Francisco District 10, so I’m not sure why they would have been counted twice, although I am confident they are definitely the same family. In this entry Frances and Henry have different ages from that given in the previous entry and Henry's place of birth is Massachusetts, not Connecticut.

On later census details their children all give different places of birth for their parents too, so sadly this is not reliable information.

They also had a son – George Parker Allen born 1865, and I have traced his descendants into the twentieth century, but without the marriage of Frances and Henry I am stuck getting back any further.

Help? :-)
Lynden

Return to General research queries