Moderator Control Panel ]

Percival Samuel Lancaster Thorne - who were his parents?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Percival Samuel Lancaster Thorne - who were his parents?

Postby Meriel W » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Mystery Gt Gt Grandfather Percival S. L. Thorne had Sophia Thorne, “single woman” as his mother. He was born 29 Nov 1821, according to TWO baptisms.
Bapt 1: Percival Radstock Thorne 40 Nov 1834, St Leonard’s Shoreditch. This baptism has a strange note that Mother was now married to Thomas Joseph Pritchard. Reference to this marriage 1829 at St Michael’s, Wood St has been found, but T J Pritchard disappears afterwards.
Bapt 2: Percival Samuel Lancaster Thorne 15 May 1837 at St John , Horselydown, Southwark, Surrey. In this record Sophia Thorne was a “single woman”. Their address was in Back St at this time. Both baptisms state the identical birth date.
Percival married Jane Isabella Boxshall at the latter church 24 Aug 1846. The Boxshall family history has been traced a long way. It would appear that Sophia Thorne probably died later the same year. Percival and Jane had four children: William whose subsequent life is uncertain, Jane Isabella, my Gt grandmother who married William Gough, Percival Samuel who died as an infant and Esther who had two marriages to a wheelwright and then a blacksmith. The families remained in the Surrey area.
Percival worked as a clerk all his life when the rest of the family were labourers or artisans. How did he get his education? One family rumour found amongst my old mother’s few contributions to our family history knowledge has a mystery aristocrat in the family line. Was Sophia a maid or a prostitute? Who were her parents? She certainly cared about her son.
Can anyone help me sort out this brick wall? Maybe it will just remain that way for ever.
Meriel W

Re: Percival Samuel Lancaster Thorne - who were his parents?

Postby JMcK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 pm

My first instinct is that you should look closely at the Radstock name
and in 1841 there is Lord and Lady Radstock with staff at Portland Place, Marylebone. He is 50 and she 35.

There are a LOT of newspaper articles concerning the varioius Lords R. It would appear the 1841 succeeded to the title as the 2nd Baron in 1825 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W ... n_Radstock

As to why he would be rechristened Samuel Lancaster - perhaps the Radstocks asked her to change his name? did money change hands? Did Sophia have a new 'protector'?
JMcK

Postby Meriel W » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks for the idea. I have been trying to sort this guy for years. The name Percival was used by subsequent generations, so he was perhaps remembered kindly. He was only 40 when he died. I will have a Radstock hunt. I did find a Samuel Lancaster of about the correct age who married the daughter of the Lord Mayor of London and then went back to the family home in Yorkshire. One of his relatives started schools for the underprivileged - thought maybe Percival must have received an education of some sort to end up a clerk. He had a smart signature at his marriage. The mystery marriage of Sophia is less than helpful. Sophia was not a very common name, but she remained in the shadows.
Meriel W

Postby JMcK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 am

i see the marriage of Sophia Thorne to Thomas Joseph Pritchard in 1829 is in Pallot's indexes. Where did they get it from? It must be somewhere!
JMcK

Postby Meriel W » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:30 am

I have hunted in all directions for this marriage, but so far no luck. One presumes the Pallots records were based on actual church records. Cannot decide if Thomas Pritchard skipped off and married someone else, maybe died or just faded out of sight. There were several Thomas Pritchards in London at that time. The fact he is not mentioned in any other family details suggests he was not part of the family for long. There is one 1841 census record that has a Sophia Pritchard as a servant in Camberwell. Another possibility.
I have obtained the death certificate for Sophia Thorne. She died 22 April 1846 aged at 6 Lemon St. Ruptured blood vessel of the lungs. (Maybe due to TB???) She was a single woman. There were so few women in London at that time called Sophia Thorne I feel it is probably correct.
So she would not have been at her son's wedding in the August. Sometimes it was not recorded that a parent was deceased on the church records.
As regards Sophia's birth - there was a possible 28 Feb 1794 -baptism at St Mary Newington, Surrey. So that was in Southwark where most of her activities seemed to happen. Parents in this record - Peter Thorne and Mary.
The mystery remains! Thanks so much for your help.
Meriel W

Postby JMcK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 am

Of course there is the marriage of a Sophia Thorne to Joseph Whittaker in 1817, saint Benedict’s city of London, witnesses David and Elizabeth whittaker. Looks like all sign,

Same Sophia or a different one???

The other odd thing is that despite having Percival baptised twice. She didn’t do the first until he was 13. Do you think there is an earlier one you are missing?
JMcK

Postby ianbee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am

Meriel W wrote:I have hunted in all directions for this marriage, but so far no luck. One presumes the Pallots records were based on actual church records.

According to FamilySearch, St Michael Wood Street with St Mary Staining
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/St ... _Genealogy

"Christenings 1663-c1895, Marriages 1674-1754, 1813-1895, Burials 1813-c1853 destroyed by enemy action, 1940, but see coverage of marriages in Boyd and Pallot indexes."
Check that of course.
ianbee

Postby Meriel W » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks JMcK - Yes I had investigated the Whittaker marriage but came to the conclusion it was a different Sophia Thorne (Maybe the only other one in London at that time?) There are later census records for that family.
The two baptisms is certainly strange. I have hunted all over for one in 1821, but no sign of one so far. Both baptisms clearly have an identical birth date. Why Sophia decided to give her son two different names is a real puzzle.
Meriel W

Postby Meriel W » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you Ianbee for that information. It does at least explain why there are missing records regarding the marriage. The Pallots record is better than nothing. It does not clarify what happened to Thomas J Pritchard. He does get that mention in the first baptism. Perhaps he died. I cannot spot a relevant death yet. Sophia also reverts to her original surname for the second baptism. Unless a DNA match throws up a Thorne connection, and that would still not show a father's name for Percival, I think the mystery will remain. The family remained in the St John's Horselydown & Southwark area. Not spotted any workhouse record either.
Meriel W

Return to General research queries