Moderator Control Panel ]

Cover discs

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Cover discs

Postby Editor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:03 pm

We would love some feedback on the content of our cover discs. Would you prefer to have more radio programmes/audio books or do you like the county theme that we have been doing recently? I am trying to get more content that isn't just available free online already.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

RE: Cover discs

Postby margaretabram » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 am

I prefer the county theme. I have ancestors dotted all round the country, so quite a few counties are relevent. Although it may seem that you go for a while without anything of use, you can come across some great nuggets of information from the records on your discs. The more previously unpublished information the better!

I guess though that you have to have a bit of something for everyone and if people want audio books or radio programmes, I am happy for there to be a mix.

A reminder for those early on in their research - you never know in which counties ancestors will pop up! I had no idea when I started that I had any family connection with Dorset, for example. So hang on to all discs as you never know if they may become useful.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby paulberyl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 am

Speaking personally the value of cover CD's falls under two headings: their use to me as a family historian and their interest to me as an amateur historian.

As a family historian Mags has already identified the one problem with county themes, that is unless you have a specific interest in a particular county the discs are of limited interest. In addition articles on counties cannot do justice to the major cities that exist within those counties. Also with so many family historians now using the internet (although admittedly not all) information on the discs which is readily available via the internet, such as census returns, (albeit on pay sites) is again of limited interest and value.

However as a historian image galleries and historic documents (such as trade directories) are always fascinating.

Over the years I have collected a number of cover CDs from a variety of magazines. Of no use whatsoever have been the free software programs. I have all the software I need for my research. What has been of interest however are the historic archive CD books and magazines, in pdf format, that are not so readily available online. A couple of examples from some of your competitors cover CDs are [i]Surnames of the United Kingdom [/i]and[i] [/i]the [i]Great War Magazine.[/i]

I suppose what I am saying is that I would like to see items on the cover CDs that are not readily available on the internet and are of more general, rather than specific, interest.[i] [/i]

Regards,

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Editor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks - you've inspired me to go and see if I can get hold of some old books!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:23 am

The latest one, received today, works a treat. Seems the changes in the Reading done the trick. P.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Re: Cover discs

Postby juliaros » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I WOULD CONCENTRATE ON GETTING THE DOWNLOADS WORKING BEFORE ASKING WHAT ELSE WE WANT,,

These downloads are pathetic, month after month I have problems trying to download them. I HAVE MANAGED TO GET A TIME ON A DOWNLOAD THIS MORNING, IT WILL TAKE 4 DAYS AND 6 HOURS lmao.

They have turned a decent magazine and disc into a cheap collection, just to save money.

I'm thinking of changing to another magazine now, I have every issue but 2 . But I cant take this much longer, I lose one Saturday in the month, just trying to get this data.

Fed up aint the words i'm looking for, PATHETIC WILL SURFICE..
juliaros

Re: Cover discs

Postby Rowan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:12 am

I lived in Australia and I just brought the July addition [new in the shop here] and the CD which was enclosed in a sealed bag does not work. Am I able to gain access to this information in another way? :(
Rowan

Return to Magazine chat