Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall pls help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall pls help

Postby Dien » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:53 am

Brick wall pls help

I am still researching my ancestor William Styles born 1827 in Cliddesden Hampshire, his mother was Mary Penton Tubb born 1808 in Cliddesden and married his father Thomas Styles in 1826 in St. Bride Fleet Street, London, her husband was a Mail Guard and died before 1834 as she remarried John Curtis in 1834 - may of been a baker .. I got lots of help and useful information, last time I put a post on here, but still searching ...

Between 1834 -1861 I can find nothing for Mary Penton Styles/Curtis from 1830 until 1861 and very little about her son William styles - I know his wife Eliza holland who was from Norwood Surrey, died in 1908 in the Croydon Workhouse - which was near to where she was born , her husband William Styles is listed on certificates as a Publican and Licensed Victualler (although Metropolitan Archives hold no records for Hackney) he was living at 5 Wells Street Hackney in 1861 with his mother who was a widow and ​his wife - census states retired gentleman of his own means. After this nothing found on him or his mother again and little on his wife - can anyone find anything 1834 onwards ...if you can assist in anyway I would much appreciate it. Many thanks
Dien

Re: Brick wall pls help

Postby JMcK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am

JMcK

Postby beacon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:58 am

1841 census Union Street, St Pancras - John Curtis b1802, baker, with Mary Curtis b1809 and a boy aged 12, surname Stiles. His first name is transcribed as North. The writing is very faint and the first name doesn’t look like William but it seems like the right combination of surnames. Curtis is transcribed on Ancestry as Carter.

Piece 685
Book 21
Folio 4
Page 3
beacon

Postby JMcK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 pm

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/75 ... dit/record

this looks like William's son William Towne STYLES (birth = J qtr, Croydon 2A p168) with his widowed mother Eliza nee HOLLAND in 1881 - He's a shoemaker

after finding that I found there is a tree on ancestry (user = weirshepherd) that has him but with no parents for William the son of Mary. They say William Styles (husband of Eliza Holland) died in 1871 but no source.

Edit - there is also peterstyles183' s tree on ancestry which is better sourced
Perhaps this is you?
Last edited by JMcK on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 pm

this looks like the previous thread of questions re this family - which seem to follow North Styles of the 1841 above to his death in 1870? Can you please untangle it for me Dien? Are North Styles and William Styles the same men or not? Presumably North, as his baptism was at St Leonard's Shoreditch, son of Thomas a Tobacconist of Old Street Road and his wife Mary, was NOT born in Hampshire?? Is North a younger brother of William?
I see he was imprisoned for uttering counterfeit coins.

topic11048.html?hilit=william%20styles%20william%20styles%20penton%20tubb

Have you seen the image for the baptism of William? It's on family search but you have to view it at a family history centre or affiliate. Does it give any information to confirm North and William might be brothers?
JMcK

Return to General research queries