Moderator Control Panel ]

Windrush Generation

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Windrush Generation

Postby junkers » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm

We should all be concerned about the reported destruction of the landing cards in 2010 by the Home Office as this could and may apply to other records which are useful to researchers and living individuals. We know that at one point the Home Office were going to destroy the British Nationality records until The National Archives (TNA) (for once) stopped it but not before a number were destroyed and even now some have 'disappeared'. The Information Management Review by TNA in 2015 was highly critical of the Home Office and its agencies and its dysfunctional arrangements.
junkers

Re: Windrush Generation

Postby junkers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 pm

This article about the 'Windrush Generation' (
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43808007) is concerning as either The National Archives (probably) or the BBC have redacted information on the freely available passenger incoming lists. Whoever did it why did they do it?.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Are you asking why data about possibly living people has been partially redacted from those clips of passenger lists?

Principles of Data Protection are clear that data should be used only for the purposes for which it is intended. I cannot see that illustrating BBC news articles forms part of that purpose. We are, as family historians, skating a fine line between quietly carrying out our research to pay tribute to our relatives' stories and being judged as impertinent busybodies who stick their noses into other people's lives. Just over the Atlantic, there are people who are trying to stop publication of photos of gravestones on the grounds of privacy and copyright (!!!). We need to be careful that we don't end up there.

Right now we have this slightly illogical view that stuff that has to be searched out, paid for and interpreted, isn't really freely available, so isn't generally of concern. Splattering people's personal details over the BBC website isn't the same thing - it's very much on show.

Given that the information is presumably available elsewhere, I really can't see any issue with being careful - indeed I applaud it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

It is only the news item image that is redacted, the incoming passenger lists are still available without any redaction.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby junkers » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Indeed the information is available but why redact, it would seem to follow a pattern by The National Archives (TNA) of strange and wrong decisions, i.e. closing a First World War officer's file for 195 years and to close a map of Belize of 1541. It used to be that s5(1) of the Public Records Acts 1958, 1967, before the provision was deleted by the (so-called) Freedom of Information Act, that files would be closed for 100 years at most and it can now seems documents can be closed for many hundreds of years (we were not told about this or TNA have just decided to do this), I am half-expecting that the 'Jack The Ripper' files to be next. If we take the issue of using the information collected for its original purpose then nothing would be released and in theory all of the passenger lists should be redacted until the people are 100 years old or dead and there has been a view that historical records should be released subject to some specific data protection issues. You have only to look at The National Archives catalogue to see many examples of contravention of the Data Protection Act. We should be wary of the new Data Protection Bill, as is the Information Commissioner, which seems to be an excuse for Government to close records they would have opened.
junkers

Return to Genealogy chat