Moderator Control Panel ]

What is this occupation?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What is this occupation?

Postby HardWork » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Can anyone please tell me what a "kiddier" does? I have found this as an occupation in Norfolk in the 1840s. It was given in a baptismal register as a man's occupation. I believe previously he may have been described as a gardener.
HardWork

Re: What is this occupation?

Postby gdraper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am

It's a dealer or seller of agricultural produce

Sent from my TA-1020 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
gdraper

Postby phsvm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Perhaps time to remind forum members of this web site.

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

This actually gives a different definition of a 'kiddier' - 1) Dealer in young goats and skins 2) Skinner
phsvm

Postby HardWork » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am

Thank you very much, phsvm and gdraper.
It looks likely that a gardener most likely was selling his own produce. A later baptism has him returning to being a gardener so I figure it more likely his activities revolved around that rather than dealing in goats - but how many times do we figure something is more likely, only to be confounded when doing genealogy!
HardWork

Postby peter kent » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:38 pm

The Oxford English Dictionary is online thanks to most if not all UK public library services.

The general definition is "One who buys provisions from the producers and takes them to market to sell"

But of particular interest to the questioner is a pair of definitions from East Anglia in the 19th century:

one who buys up fowls, eggs, pork, &c. at farm-houses..and carries them to market.

and

a pork-butcher, sausage-maker, a low dealer in poultry and provisions.
peter kent

Return to General research queries