Moderator Control Panel ]

Child Maintainance Record Access

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Child Maintainance Record Access

Postby tezle61 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi all
I am trying to help a friend with her family tree but her biggest stumbling block is identifying her biological father as he is not on her birth certificate.
Having no hard evidence of his full name or age and drawing blank after blank the only piece of information we know is 100% correct is that her father was paying child maintenance for her from 1965 to Tower Bridge magistrates London which now is not in existence.
My question is, being the child of that maintenance court order would my friend be able to access the court record and if so where would she start to look for that access?
tezle61

Re: Child Maintainance Record Access

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

The records for the Court are only available until 1953 at the London Metropolitan Archives and the Court was closed and perhaps your friend needs to contact the Ministry of Justice using a Freedom of Information request with any relevant documents she has, of course unless your friend's biological father is dead they won't release the details as it might contravene the Data Protection Act.
junkers

Postby tezle61 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Junkers thank you for that information at least it gives us a starting point.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tezle61

Postby JaneyH » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Rather than a Freedom of Information (FOI) request I think you may need a data subject access request - a request to see information that is held about you. There are details here on the Information Commissioner’s Office website: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

Hope this helps.
JaneyH

Postby tezle61 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:17 am

thank you for that we will follow that up

Sent from my SM-J330FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tezle61

Return to General research queries