Moderator Control Panel ]

TV Challenge

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

TV Challenge

Postby woodchal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am

On the Antiques Road show 15/4/18, there was a story about a little casket, that a 12 year old girl had hidden in 1940 and was found by another girl in 1992. (43 mins in if you want to download and watch)

It was quite a story, the 1940 girl had hid 5 clues around the house that led to the casket which was hidden up a chimney. The 1992 girl discovered the first clue in the shed and followed the clues to the casket. The casket contents included trinkets and family photos.

The first clue was a letter dated 12th April 1940 in which the girl said her name was Catherine Short and that she was 12 and lived at 64 Bullsmoor Lane. As the clues unfold we see a picture of her as a baby with her mother and an older brother and learn that she wasn't well and was going to the coast to live with an aunt and uncle.

There is a challenge at the end to see if anyone could find the family. This is a fascinating story and wondered if our forum, with people with a magic touch in genealogical discoveries might succeed.
woodchal

Re: TV Challenge

Postby phsvm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am

I saw this and had a quick look at it.

There's only one Catherine Short born in the correct time scale - 1928 - and she was in Romford. Using the mother's maiden name from that I looked to see if there were any other births (to account for her brother). There weren't any.

The 1939 register doesn't throw up anything either - I went through all the 'Short' families in Enfield (Bullsmoor Lane is in North Enfield -it's a road I know personally) and there wasn't a family with that name at that address. I then checked the electoral rolls for 1945 and the family living at 64 Bullsmoor Lane has the surname Parker.

I tried finding marriages for a Catherine L Short - the birth I found in Romford in 1928 - and didn't come up with anything. Death registrations didn't help either.
phsvm

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Interesting, I couldn't come up with anything, but I couldn't find her parents' marriage either (Short/Lee) assuming it was in England and Wales and in the area of Romford and a possible later brother in the Poplar district of East London.
junkers

Postby woodchal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Yes, that's about as far as I could get. She says she was going to an Aunty and Uncle by the sea - but that doesn't help much. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I suspect the Aunty is the relation as she is mentioned first so will not have a Short (or Lee) surname

The program was filmed at the Black Country Open Air museum, but there is no evidence of a current road with that name in the midlands. Maybe the BBC have more information.
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Roots chat has a thread on this as well and someone called AngelFish has posted

There is a page on Fabebook for the BBC Antiques Roadshow. It has the clip from the show. People have left comments below, including a gentleman who has left the following information:

"Catherine L Short was born in 1928 and she appears on the 1939 Register in Ruislip. Her father was Henry M Short and her mother was Elizabeth Short. I cannot find a death for her in the years following but she must have already died, otherwise her entry in the register would be blacked out."
I think he means redacted.

A lady has then posted this: '"on electoral registers in Ruislip up to 1963 at which time she was living at Field End Road."

Then this: "Thanks for all your hard work everyone! You’ve been brilliant! We’ll compile all the clues in the office any more suggestions do email antiques.roadshow@bbc.co.uk"

UNQUOTE

If anyone cracks this do let us know on this forum!
woodchal

Return to General research queries