Moderator Control Panel ]

John Blacklock/Blaylock and Jane Routledge Clockey Mill

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Blacklock/Blaylock and Jane Routledge Clockey Mill

Postby BucksGirl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

I am trying to find out more about John Blacklock/Blaylock who married Jane Routledge in Lanercost on 24 March 1821. They lived, and were the millers, at Clockey Mill, Kingwater, Lanercost in Cumberland. The mill had belonged to Jane Routledge’s family. John seems to have died in 1841 but Jane and her sons kept running the mill, at least until her death in 1877.

On the marriage certificate, both John and Jane claim to be of Lanercost parish. Jane certainly was, being the daughter of John Routledge of Clockey Mill. She was baptised Lanercost 9 April 1801. I can find no baptism for John Blacklock/Blaylock in Lanercost. Both witnesses at their wedding were born/baptised in Lanercost in 1797, these being Joseph Rowntree and Mary Heward. I therefore presume that John would have been born around the same sort of time.

I am told that an ancestor of mine, a daughter of Joseph Blaylock, plumber of Brampton, used to visit the family at Clockey Mill. Apparently a letter exists describing these visits and the relationship between the two families. Does anyone have any information on this?

Also, does anyone have any information on John Blacklock/Blaylock? Where was he born? Who were his parents and siblings? What did he do as an occupation before he married Jane and had to take over the running of Clockey Mill? When exactly did he die, and does anyone know how - he was pretty young, so was it a milling accident possibly?

Any help very gratefully received!
BucksGirl

Re: John Blacklock/Blaylock and Jane Routledge Clockey Mill

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm

According to the GRO online index, there are two 'John Blaylock' 1841 deaths registered in Carlisle:
BLAYLOCK, JOHN age 64
GRO Reference: 1841 M Quarter in CARLISLE Volume 25 Page 32
BLAYLOCK, JOHN age 0
GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in CARLISLE Volume 25 Page 37

If your chap was born circa 1800, then the older man above isn't a likely match. Perhaps his father?
There's also this man who died in 1842. It appears to be a common name in Carlisle.
BLAYLOCK, JOHN age 70
GRO Reference: 1842 J Quarter in CARLISLE Volume 25 Page 46
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

As for possible births, there are these Carlisle baptisms:

Name John Blaylock
Gender Male
Christening Date 31 May 1801
Christening Place SAINT MARY,CARLISLE,CUMBERLAND,ENGLAND
Father's Name Robert Blaylock
Mother's Name Mary Sinclair

Name John Blaylock
Gender Male
Christening Date 25 Mar 1804
Christening Place SAINT MARY,CARLISLE,CUMBERLAND,ENGLAND
Father's Name Jos. Blaylock
Mother's Name Ann Pears
MoVidger

Postby BucksGirl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks MoVidger - I will investigate those leads!
BucksGirl

Return to General research queries