Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish immigration records late 1700s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish immigration records late 1700s

Postby MayHam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 am

Does anyone know where I might find immigration records from Ireland to Scotland in the late 1700s? Am told the British newspapers often published the names of passengers but, unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the big pond to be able to search. Thanks in advance for any advice.
MayHam

Re: Irish immigration records late 1700s

Postby Sylcec » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 am

Northern Ireland to England (Liverpool) and Scotland (Glasgow) was essentially a ferry service and I am not aware of any records being kept.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 am

Sylvia is correct. The UK government didn't even keep passenger lists for the ferries between the UK and mainland Europe.

I would very much doubt that the newspapers would contain any passenger names on that route either, beyond perhaps an occasional reference to the Duke of X arriving for the shooting season. The arrival of "unwashed peasantry" - like my legendary Irish born 3G grandfather - was not newsworthy.

Sadly this is a well known problem and the only thing that any of us can do is keep plugging away at research in England, Wales and Scotland in the hope that we find some reference to their ultimate origin.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MayHam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Thank you, both. That's helpful to know.
MayHam

Return to General research queries