Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah Ann Minshall brick wall what to do now?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sarah Ann Minshall brick wall what to do now?

Postby CazE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:57 pm

My great grandmother Sarah Ann Minshall was born 28.9.1880 in Sherrifhales. Parents William and Sarah Jane. Ive found her up to the 1901 census, where she is shown as Annie Minshall a domestic servant. Then she disappears. I've tried various searches for marriages and deaths and haven't been able to find her. There are some marriages but not with the same date of birth. Any suggestions on what to do next would be really great?
CazE

Re: Sarah Ann Minshall brick wall what to do now?

Postby woodchal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm

There appears to be at least 2 Sarah Ann Minshall births around 1880. One registered in Shifnal in 4th Qtr 1880 (mother's maiden Chapman) and another registered in Runcorn in 2nd Qtr 1878 (mother's maiden name Lightfoot). There is also a Sarah Minshall registered in Runcorn in 1878 with a mother's maiden name of Smith and another Sarah with a mothers maiden name of Henshaw in 2nd qtr 1879 in Salford.

It seems quite a common name in the area which may make your searches more difficult.

Have a look at these Death Certificate, as one might be yours (1st one is favourite)-

Name: Sarah A Minshall
Death Age: 83
Birth Date: abt 1880
Registration Date: Sep 1963
Registration district: Lichfield
Inferred County: Staffordshire
Volume: 9b
Page: 140

Name: Sarah Minshall
Death Age: 57
Birth Date: abt 1880
Registration Date: Sep 1937
Registration district: South Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8d
Page: 41

The other Sarah Ann appears to have married

Name: Sarah Annie Minshall
Birth Date: 1878
Marriage Date: 1901
Marriage Place: All Saints, Runcorn, Chester, England
Spouse: Herbert Moores
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I realise that this would suggest she wasn't married - does this fit in with your family knowledge?
woodchal

Postby peter kent » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:38 am

I'm puzzled.

You must surely have the birth certificate of a child, otherwise you wouldn't know that a Sarah Ann Minshall even existed.

What are the details of this birth?
peter kent

Postby ianbee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

Plenty of candidates. Her parents have three grandchildren with them in 1911
One of those (Mary) was with them in 1901, along with another one (Annie)
All four have a dash for mother's maiden name in the new GRO index.

A baptism online for Mary in 1899 (Market Drayton Methodist Circuit)
23 May 1899
born 20 April 99
Mary
(mother) Sarah Ann Minshall
abode Knighton
ianbee

Postby woodchal » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 am

Some speculation here - There is a Maria Minshall (or Marie) born without an identified mother's maiden name (so probably illegitimate) born in Market Drayton 1906 J Quarter (Volume 06A Page 737) and there is a Marie grand daughter living with a William and Sarah MInshall in 1911 census (Sarah Ann's parents?).
woodchal

Postby CazE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks for all your suggestions regarding Sarah Ann Minshall. She appears in 1901 census as Annie so I have done lots of searches with that name to no avail. Having spoken to one surviving family member she has said that regarding all the grandchildren being with their grandparents in 1911 I thought that ight have been a one off for the census, they lived with them permanently ad apparently she was a bit of a madam and there was talk that she was told by her parents in no uncertain terms and she went off and wasn't heard of again. I've looked at the Lichfield death with the church graveyard inscription but I believe Minshall was that woman's married name. So it is difficult because I have no area to check. She may have stayed around Shropshire/Staffordshire or moved further afield, particularly as she was a general servant and could make a new start. I have even found a woman with the same name on a passenger list shown as a companion but obviously there are too many details of either women.
CazE

Postby elsabels » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 pm

My great grandmother Sarah Ann Minshall was born 28.9.1880 in Sherrifhales. Parents William and Sarah Jane

From woodchat One registered in Shifnal in 4th Qtr 1880 (mother's maiden Chapman) this is likely to be the birth entry:
Name: Sarah Ann Minshall
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec 1880
Registration district: Shifnal Shropshire
Volume: 6a Page: 587

If you look at the registration area
you will find Shifnal & Sherriff Hales
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/shifnal.html

You do not state whether Sarah Ann married , did she and to whom?
You need to find out who is the parent of the grandchild shown on the 1901 and those shown on the 1911,it is likely to be Sarah A or one of her sisters! Why are these children with their grandparents?

The 1911 census indicates that the parents had 6 children with 5 living at 1911 have you found them since that date?
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:18 pm

I believe that the Mary Minshall given as daughter in 1901 age 1 and the Mary Minshall given as granddaughter in 1911 age 11 are in fact the same person.
ianbee wrote:A baptism online for Mary in 1899 (Market Drayton Methodist Circuit)
23 May 1899
born 20 April 99
Mary
(mother) Sarah Ann Minshall
abode Knighton
ianbee

Postby Editor » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 am

Because your post featured in our June issue, we have had a reader write in to us with this:

"There used to be an English family of Minshalls living in the Waringstown area of Co. Down, Northern Ireland, possibly Dunkirk Rd. They had at least a daughter, Nuala. I believe she moved away from the area some years ago, possibly to England, or Canada. She would be about 70 years old now. I believe both her parents died in the area, therefore death records should be traceable. Hope this is helpful."

I said I would pass this on to you!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General research queries