Moderator Control Panel ]

St. Clair of Caithness - possible link

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

St. Clair of Caithness - possible link

Postby ali1953 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I have a link in a family tree which if right will give a line back to the Sinclairs of Caithness - but it is a weak link.
I use Ancestry to build my tree and it keeps pointing me towards this link but I can't find good sources to back the information up.

My late brother in law's 9 x GG Grandmother is ISSOBELL GIRNELAW (sometimes ISSOBELL SINCLAIR GIRNELAW) B1603 Dunse Berwickshire, married DAVEID GIBSONE (1603) in 1621. They had a daughter - JEANE B1630 Dunse, Berwickshire. I have a citation of birth (Scottish Births) for JEANE which tallies with her mother and father.
My problem is finding information on the parents for Issobell Girnelaw .
I can find Sinclairs of Caithness ancestry but I can't make the connection.
There are lots of trees on Ancestry with information on this line but when I check out their sources / citations there are none.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Clarali
ali1953

Re: St. Clair of Caithness - possible link

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 pm

My first suggestion is to not use Ancestry family trees without checking Scotland's People (the 'official and best Scottish website for family believe that "Dunes" is today "Duns". I would expect a couple to have a child before nine years after they were married, normally in the first three years. Incidentally I notice you are look for Sinclair but have listed it as St. Clair, also Caithness is at opposite ends of Scotland, Caithness is in the Highlands near Orkney and Berwickshire is near the English Border.
junkers

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm

I should have said Dunse is now Duns.
junkers

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I looked at one of the Ancestry family tree marriages of Isobel to David Gibsone when Isobel was said to be 11 years old, 18 years old, 21 years old and 71 years old.
junkers

Return to General research queries