Moderator Control Panel ]

Henry Smith transported

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Henry Smith transported

Postby MayHam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Henry Smith (age 12) transported for fourteen years. ~ The Scotsman, Wednesday 29 February 1832
http://archive.scotsman.com/viewer/bl/0 ... 9/067/0004

Does anyone know where I can find more information about what happened to this poor soul?
Many thanks.
MayHam

Re: Henry Smith transported

Postby junkers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:37 pm

You would probably need to look at the records in the National Archives of Australia or the individual States (New South Wales, Queensland, etc). This entry (see below) from the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland gives more information, especially given that the case was held at the High Court in Edinburgh, describing him as a ruffian and appears not to be the only case concerning him. The link to The Scotsman newspaper does not work but there are a number of newspapers on the British Newspaper Archive website.

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrso ... =1832&di=n

It may well be that he flourished in Australia.
junkers

Postby MayHam » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 pm

That's brilliant, thank you!
MayHam

Postby JaneyH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Using the 'Claim a Convict' website I scrolled through the Henry Smiths who were transported in 1832, 1833 and 1834 and eventually found your one: http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/convictDetails.php?convictId=82126

It shows his trial was 27 February 1832 at Edinburgh Court of Judiciary, and he was sentenced to 14 years transportation. If you click through to the link for the ship you will see that he travelled on the ship Moffatt, which left Plymouth on 29 January 1834 and arrived in Van Diemen's Land on 9 May, a voyage of 100 days. In total there were 393 male convicts on board.

This is quite a long gap between sentencing and transportation, so he would have been in prison and/or on a hulk somewhere for nearly two years before his trip to Australia.

The website is free to register and you can 'claim' convicts as 'yours'. I've claimed my 5x great-grandmother and have subsequently been in touch with someone in Australia who was also researching her - we've exchanged notes which has been very rewarding.
JaneyH

Postby JaneyH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:10 pm

I've only researched one convict before and certainly can't claim to be an expert, but I've found a bit more for you. Having the combination of convict name, ship, year of arrival and state make it quite straight-forward.

On the Tasmanian Government website there's a section devoted to convict records: https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/family-history/Pages/Convict-life.aspx Searching on the names index for Henry Smith and ship Moffatt you will find his description list (height, build, hair colour etc) and also his conduct record. Some of the handwriting on the latter is not very easy to read, but unfortunately it appears that Henry's bad ways continued. There are mentions of "gambing contrary to orders", misdemeanours and neglect of duty, for which he was given various spells of hard labour and solitary confinement.
JaneyH

Postby MayHam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 pm

What fantastic resources, JaneyH! Thank you so much for sharing! I never knew these records existed.
My Henry Smith was the son of Jane Courtney, whose husband died in 1833 when Henry was about 14.
I have never found any documentation on him so wondered if they could be the same lad?
Doesn't appear so, unfortunately. Thanks for the help, though.
I'm definitely going to remember these sites. Cheers!
MayHam

Postby Sylcec » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 am

If Henry Smith actually was transported, then given a conviction in 1832, his destination would have been New South Wales or Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania). Convict indents for NSW are dgitised and available on Ancestry. I can find no evidence of a Henry Smith of about the right age, convicted in Edinburgh arriving in NSW round from 1832 for a couple of years.

I wonder why you have decided that the results of JaneyH's search are not your man? While I have not repeated her search, the rationale and findings seem perfectly logical and reasonable. If you remain convinced that this fellow is not your man, then also consider the possibility that his sentence of transportation was further commuted and he served out his sentence in prison in Edinburgh, or having served a period on the hulks may have then been pardoned.

Incidentally, Junkers, convict records are unlikely to be found in the NAA as transportation ended and long preceded Federation.
Sylcec

Postby MayHam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi, Sylcec, and thanks for the additional information. You are very helpful.

My apologies for any miscommunication. Junkers was kind enough to send the following link which describes Henry as the son of Janet Black or Smith, widow.
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrso ... =1832&di=n

Unfortunately, my Henry was the son of Jane (Courtney) Smith. I have Jane's death certificate which indicates she did not remarry after the passing of her husband in 1833. They were from Glasgow. I appreciate the education, though. Thanks so much for your time.
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm

MayHam wrote:... Unfortunately, my Henry was the son of Jane (Courtney) Smith. ...

Hmm. I'm getting a bit lost here - you started by asking about
Henry Smith (age 12) transported for fourteen years. ~ The Scotsman, Wednesday 29 February 1832

It seems to me a reasonable deduction that the Henry Smith in Van Diemen's Land is the chap from the newspaper report. Did you have a reason for linking the transportee to "your" Henry before or were you simply researching the transportee in case there was any evidence to show that he was your chap?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MayHam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Apologies for the miscommunication, AdrianB38.
I was researching the transportee in case there was any evidence to show that he was my Henry Smith.
Thanks for replying.
MayHam

Next

Return to General research queries