Moderator Control Panel ]

Divorce Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Divorce Records

Postby joannelovesbooks » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello all

I have never used divorce records before but I am doing some research for a friend and this question has come up. I understand that TNA has indexed 100% of divorce records up to 1936 but from 1937 onwards only 80% of them are listed. Is there any other source for checking if a divorce actually took place in 1947 if it is not on TNA?

Thanks
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Re: Divorce Records

Postby trace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Have you read the TNA research guide?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... s/divorce/
trace

Postby AntonyM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm

You will need to get a search done of court records, which can be expensive if you don't have all the details.

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

You would only get a copy of the decree confirming the divorce was granted, no case papers or other details
AntonyM

Divorce Records

Postby brunes08 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:17 pm

I did find the 1939 Register helpful in tracing a relative. She married twice after 1939, indicated by the alterations of surname on the register. I was able to work out when the first marriage ended by looking for her second marriage. The first husband was not deceased when she remarried as I found him on the Electoral Register later. I also found her and her new husband similarly. Knowing where they all lived helped obviously.
Incidentally, I have very detailed divorce records from TNA, including the acting solicitor's papers, for two cases in the 1870s and 1880s. These led me to find accounts of the hearings in local newspapers. Obviously quite shocking at the time enough to be reported! So another possible source for information.
brunes08

Postby joannelovesbooks » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I did read the TNA guide and that’s why I knew only 80% were on their site.

I did find the lady in question on the 1939 register and her name has been altered to the name of her second husband. The thing is, we are not certain that she divorced her second husband before he married his second wife which is why we are hoping to find details of the divorce itself.

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Return to General research queries