Moderator Control Panel ]

calling himself in England Henry Simons

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

calling himself in England Henry Simons

Postby JMcK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:46 am

While paging through the marriages for Woodhouse, Yorkshire I found this marriage

It's been indexed under Henry SIMONS but there is plainly a European Name to be added. Can people please help me decipher it.

I get Schmidz Sarguiski PADOLE (does the superscript say Pole?) Calling himself in England Henry SIMONS

Jo

edit heres the link. Has something gone wrong with uploading images? that's the second time recently i haven't been able to do it.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/22 ... 9597-00085
JMcK

Re: calling himself in England Henry Simons

Postby Sucher » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi Jo

I cannot follow the ancestry link right now but here’s a thought. I have ancestors from the western part of Ukraine, specifically a region named Podolia. If Henry was part of the wave of immigrants arriving at the end of the the 19th century and later perhaps he is referring to his place of birth?

Sucher
Sucher

Re: calling himself in England Henry Simons

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:22 pm

I think it's
Schmidz Sarguiski Padole - a Pole Calling himself in England Henry Simons

"A Pole" is in superscript. I've done that by looking at both the name and signature. However, I wonder whether it might read
Schmidz Sarginski Padole - a Pole Calling himself in England Henry Simons

Is it "ui" or "in"? While the dot over the i is a way down the word, suggesting "ui", it's also a way down the word in "Simons" suggesting a delayed dot and therefore "in".

It's a bad way of doing it, but when I looked in FamilySearch Records, it didn't bring up any Sarguiski records, but it did bring up a handful of Sarginski...

Do we have any forum members with expertise in the Polish language to comment?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries