Moderator Control Panel ]

Were there other children?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Were there other children?

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am

AdrianB38 wrote:Re Robertha's entry in "British India Office Births & Baptisms" and the line that reads:

Slave owner slave of 005138429_00227 same as 005138429_00226

I asked FMP about this (having run an IT support team, I have delusions that I can talk to people about issues like this) and they have just got back to me confirming that the appearance of this line is a bug and it's an internal item that's got made visible accidentally. It probably relates to repeated images on the original film or its digitised version.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby nuttree » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:50 am

My contact has a postcard from Joseph from Constantinople in1920 persumably on his way to India He also has a photo of Lilias with a baby in India. All of which checks with your findings and surely shows the child was his and his wife's born in INDIA. I wonder if the older daughters went to India or stayed with relations.
nuttree

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:19 am

By the time Joseph and Lilias went to India with the regiment, it is quite likely that their oldest two girls may have been left with relatives or in a boarding school in England. However, if Joseph was allowed to take his family "on the strength" then indeed they may have accompanied their parents. However, I don't know how you would discover which situation applied. Do you have marriage records for the older daughters - that may help establish their whereabouts.

I also noticed from the FMP British India collection that there was another FROUD family (Henry & Charlotte?) having children earlier on in the 1900s - round about the time when Joseph and Lilias were in Ireland.

Pleased to note that Adrian followed up that horrible error about 'slave owners' ! :)
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby nuttree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:38 am

That is good thinking Sylvia The second daughter never married but the oldest one married in 1929 in Woolwich by which time her father was with the War Office Police working at the Royal Arsenal, so no clues there but she did marry a CSM of the R.S.F. He was in the 1st Btn while her father was 2nd Btn
Adrian is my absolute hero for clearing the situation up so neatly. I am so grateful to everyone for their contributions on this site.
Last edited by nuttree on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nuttree

Postby junkers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:12 pm

nuttree wrote:That is good thinking Sylvia The second daughter never married but the oldest one married in 1929 in Woolwick by which time her father was with the War Office Police working at the Royal Arsenal, so no clues there but she did marry a CSM of the SRF. He was in the 1st Btn while her father was 2nd Btn
Adrian is my absolute hero for clearing the situation up so neatly. I am so grateful to everyone for their contributions on this site.

I expect you meant Woolwich (home of the Royal Arsenal).
junkers

Postby nuttree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Indeed I did I refer to my previous comment re my eye problem I am still literaly seeing double due back at the hospital in a fortnights time please be patient with my odd typing errors its hard to proof read and I am a bit old to take touch typing lessons now :D
Joseph was at the Enfield RSA IN 1939 His occupation was given as:
Constable (WD) Inspector
Not sure how to interperate that I assume he was a constable and was inspecting some of the work??
nuttree

Previous

Return to General research queries