Moderator Control Panel ]

Esther White

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Esther White

Postby EwanL1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Esther was my great great grandmother. The family story was that she came to Birmingham from Leeds (where she worked for a doctor and his family) in 1914 because she was pregnant and so to marry the father, Benjamin Lewis. No one is quite sure how she came to meet him and it was believed that her family cut her off. I have their marriage certificate which lists her father as Joseph White, a foundry man. However, I have so far been unable to find anything about a Joseph with a daughter called Esther, except for one in Maidstone but I am concerned that the name is the only link (the birth year is listed as 1887, rather than the 1891 I had found).

I'd be grateful for any advice that could be given.
EwanL1

Re: Esther White

Postby JMcK » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Are you able to upload the marriage certificate please? Or if not Can you please let us know ALL the information on it.

Is there any indication in the family story of the name of the doctor in Leeds?
JMcK

Postby EwanL1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:27 pm

There’s nothing about the doctor that anyone who knew her can remember, I’m wary of that though as it is not very specific aside from the being in Leeds part. It won’t let me post the picture of the marriage certificate but here is the information:
Marriage solemnised at St Basil’s Church in the parish of St Basil, Deritend, Birmingham in the County of Warwick
Columns no. 354
When Married: 18th October 1914
Name and Surname: Benjamin Lewis and Esther White
Condition: Bachelor and Spinster
Rank or profession: Pressman and Weaver
Residence at time of marriage: 11 Great Barr Street
Father’s Name and Surname: Henry Lewis and Joseph White
Rank or Profession of Father: Strip Caster and Foundry man
EwanL1

Postby JMcK » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:19 pm

You probably already know all this but

1939 index gives Benjamin born 3 Mar 1892. And Esther born 31 dec 1891 living at 46 Newstead Road, Birmingham
Plus Albert born 21 April 1922 and two redacted entries.
I am presuming the “early baby” was Lily May reg Dec qtr 1914? MMN given as White
Albert also has MMN White - so consistent.
And did they also have Winifred B in 1918 and Benjamin in 1920? MMN White.

In 1911 Benjamin is living in Aston with his older brother and in 1901 he is with his father Harry and other family. Father as as per marriage certificate so Benjamin at least is telling the truth, which is something!

If Esther was born 31 Dec 1891 she should be registered in the first qtr of 1892. But I cannot see her as Esther, Ester or Hester. Nothing under WHYTE either.
However it seems unlikely the Maidstone one you found is her as she is consistent about her age at marriage and in 1939.

Will keep looking
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:52 am

Here is an Esther White of the correct age in 1911 working as a domestic servant for a Doctor. But Stafford not Leeds.
Looks like a large establishment for the insane.

First name(s) Esther Elizabeth
Last name White
Relationship Servant
Marital status Single
Sex Female
Age 19
Birth year 1892
Birth place Stafford Milford
Occupation House Maid Domestic
House name -
House number -
Street Stafford
Address Stafford
Parish Hopton and Coton
County Staffordshire
Country England
Archive reference RG14
Registration district Stafford
Registration district number 357
Enumeration district 34
District number 34
Sub district Stafford
Sub district number 1
Census reference RG14PN16365 RD357 SD1 ED34 SN1
RG78 code number 1013
Piece number 16365
Folio -
Page -
Other household member first name(s) -
Other household member last name -
Record set 1911 Census For England & Wales
Category Census, land & surveys
Subcategory Census
Collections from Great Britain, England
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 am

Is it possible she had a very late registration?

White Esther Elizabeth Stafford 6b 3. sep qtr 1893
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:53 am

In that 1911 census is also an Agnes Ellen WHITE b Stafford. Her birth is in the GRO indexes. MMN BIRCH. Which is the same MMN as the Esther Elizabeth reg above. So I thought I’d see if I could follow Agnes...oh dear

She seems to have married in1912 to Thomas Price and she says HER father is Alfred Henry WHITE so perhaps all the above is a wild goose chase up the proverbial garden path.

The Whites are in Milford in 1901 but I can’t read Alfred’s occupation..it doesn’t look anything like foundry man but in 1911 he’s a gardener.

Edit....finally Ancestry has started to cooperate...there are others researching this family and they have Esther Elizabeth marrying George BOWEY in 1917, so that’s that. Sorry :cry: back to the drawing board. I was so pleased I had her with a doctor too!
JMcK

Postby woodchal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:18 am

There may be a different interpretation and one that brings Maidstone into the equation.

There is a big castle (Leeds Castle) and a small village in the Maidstone area. These words are taken from their village website

"Leeds village in Kent cannot, of course, be compared with Leeds in Yorkshire which is probably the first 'hit' you get when searching for Leeds on the web. We are a small community with fewer than 1000 inhabitants, nestling at the foot of the North Downs in the heart of the Kent countryside five miles south east of Maidstone."

http://www.leedskent.org.uk/leeds_village_history1
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:44 am

Joseph in Maidstone seems to have been a quarryman all his life. (i assume the transcription of foundry is quite sound)

The Maidstone Esther disappears from Maidstone records in the right time scale, but from her DOB it would appear to rule her out
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 am

I think the Kent lady can probably be eliminated.
Esther A White married Arthur Peters, June 1917, Maidstone.

Death, Dec 1970 Maidstone
Peters, Esther Ann
d-o-b 11 Nov 1886

Matching birth registration of Esther Ann White in Dec qtr 1886, Maidstone. She was baptized 5 Dec 1886.

To be pedantic, on that Deritend marriage record, if she was born on the last day of 1891, Esther's age should have been the same as her husband.
Is this her death?
Sep 1973 Birmingham 9c 1025
Lewis, Esther
d-o-b 31 Dec 1889

On the other hand, she is not on the spring 1920 electoral register, and is on autumn 1921 (the two in between may not be available online)
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries