Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Needed

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help Needed

Postby Smithwife » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:57 am

I've recently started to build my family tree. And have got a brick wall with trying to trace the paternal great grandmother on my Husband's father's side.
I have the birth record for him as Alan Herbert Smith born 8th November 1912 in Bradfield, Yorkshire.
The only information i have for his mother is her Maiden name which is Bish.
Can anyone help?
Smithwife

Re: Help Needed

Postby ianbee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi
Alan Herbert Smith born 8 Nov 1912 seems to be in Kettering in 1939. With Kathleen Margaret Smith, born 1913.
Which leads to
Dec 1912 Kettering 3b 269
Smith, Alan Herbert
mother Burgess

Whereas the Smith - Bish that birth I can see is
June 1914 Bradford 9b 343
Smith, Arnold H. (Arnold Hindle on new GRO index)
mother Bish

In the original GRO index there's a handwritten entry at the foot of the first page of Smith births that same quarter
Smith Alan H, (mother) Bish, Bradford 9b 343b
ianbee

Postby Smithwife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 am

I believe the latter handwritten post from Bradford to be the correct maiden name, but am now unsure! As the lead of the name Burgess seems to fit his date of birth that I have from his death certificate.
I'm now unsure as to how to track her down in terms of finding her marriage details, date of birth, death etc as none of the family I'm in contact with know any details as the Alan Herbert Smith (my father in law's father and paternal grandfather to my husband, left when his youngest child was 8 years old) so I have next to no information as his family history.
I'm new to the genealogy game so any advice or hints would be gratefully received!
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Smithwife

Postby Smithwife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:13 pm

The Kathleen Margaret Smith (previously named Heeley) she is the correct spouse and they did live in Kettering, in Northants.

Still at a loss as to how to track Allen's mother and father as I have no information as to dates or places of birth etc.
Really at a loss!!
Smithwife

Postby JMcK » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Have you ordered the birth certificate with the Burgess mother? See Ianbee’s earlier post.
You can get a PDF emailed to you from the GRO for £6

It will confirm the dob matches what you have and should name both parents and then you have a chance of finding the marriage.
JMcK

Return to General research queries