Moderator Control Panel ]

CLARK - Frederick William Edward (Am I mixing up?)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

CLARK - Frederick William Edward (Am I mixing up?)

Postby kdeering75 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm

I have been researching the Clark Family for some time now.

I have found a lot of information on this family. The one thing I can’t confirm is who Frederick William Edward Clark is married to.

This is what I can confirm.

Frederick William Edward Clark (Son of John Horn Clark and Eliza Neal)
Born 16 February 1860, 4 Salem Place

He was 3rd son of this relationship which started as a hidden family.

He had 2 brothers (twins) James and John (Duncombe) Clark. They were living with Mother and Grandmother separately in 1861. Frederick was listed as a “Duncombe” by 1871 Frederick was living legally with his Father, Mother and sister Isabella.

John Horne used the name John “Henry” or John “Harry” on birth/marriage records. John’s first wife died in 1868 and he was free to marry Eliza Neal in 1869.

I am struggling to find the married of Frederick. I found what I thought was his marriage to Caroline Pelling Boyce in 1885. The father listed was John Horne Clark, Auctioneer. Frederick was listed as a “soldier”.

This worked because in 1881 Frederick born Fulham was listed as a soldier living in the Barricks in Woolwich and married in Woolwich as well.

I never found a death for Caroline Clark. But I found what I thought was the Census and Death Record for Frederick William in Jan 1928 married to “A. Clark”, occupation “Traveller”.

1901 and 1911 census list him married to “Annie Clark” born Clerkenwell and Islington. Living in Islington as “Traveller” again. So I have the same person from the death cert.

1891 - I’m a little unclear. I have Frederick W. living with Annie M. In Fulham, occupation “Accountant Clerk”. I think I have the wrong one potentially, birth year is 7 years off.

So what I know for sure is 1861 and 1871 census, birth records are correct. Pretty sure marriage to Caroline is accurate based on Father listed. What I am not sure of is anything afterwards not even the death though the death age and the birth year would work out.

Any thoughts?
kdeering75

Re: CLARK - Frederick William Edward (Am I mixing up?)

Postby kdeering75 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm

To add one thing, I’m pretty certain the death cert was right because his full name was the same as his birth cert.
kdeering75

Postby peter kent » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Pretty sure marriage to Caroline is accurate based on Father listed.

Have a look at his service record (available on Findmypast). I think you'll find that confirms his wife's name. It includes the regimental marriage record. No record of any children
peter kent

Postby kdeering75 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Only have Ancestry account unfortunately.
kdeering75

Postby meekhcs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 pm

The record Peter refers to confirms the wife you found. Date of marriage 10 May 1885 at St John's Woolwich Kent.
There is a lot of info in this record and would therefore be worth investing in a one month subscription(£10) to have a look. It may help you sort out the puzzle.

Edited: 7-8 pages in total. I have never seen such a detailed record whilst researching my Family!, and of course with a month to work with you might find new details about other Family members.
meekhcs

Postby ianbee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm

We did mention his army record previously
topic14512-30.html#p50918

ianbee wrote:Hi
He was in the army.
Frederick Clark attested for the Royal Artillery, 15 July 1878, at Aldershot
Reg no. 218 (originally 2632?)
aged 18, born Fulham, Middlesex
trade or calling Painter
Next of kin Father John Horne (St Johns ?)
That is crossed out, and above it says mother Eliza Horne
and later says - Wife Caroline Louisa
Married Caroline Louisa Boyce, St Johns Woolwich Kent, 10th May 1885

The marriage is on ancestry. The image is fuzzy -
Frederick William Clark, Soldier, father John Horne Clark, Auctioneer

Army record gives a full description. Frederick doesn't seem to have served abroad.
Think he was transferred to the Army Reserve in 1886.
So in the 1881 census he should be the chap in Woolwich Barracks, Frederick Clarke, 22, Gunner Royl Arty, born Middlesex Fulham.
Ian

Remembrance Weekend - military records on findmypast and ancestry have been free to view in recent years.
ianbee

Postby kdeering75 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Ianbee

You know I hadn’t connected all the dots till recently. And I guess I should have went back through my previous messages. I recently was contacted by a relative on his brother’s side.

But I still can’t figure out whether his wife died and he remarried.

I am more than sure I have his death as 1928...

Kelly

ianbee wrote:We did mention his army record previously
topic14512-30.html#p50918

ianbee wrote:Hi
He was in the army.
Frederick Clark attested for the Royal Artillery, 15 July 1878, at Aldershot
Reg no. 218 (originally 2632?)
aged 18, born Fulham, Middlesex
trade or calling Painter
Next of kin Father John Horne (St Johns ?)
That is crossed out, and above it says mother Eliza Horne
and later says - Wife Caroline Louisa
Married Caroline Louisa Boyce, St Johns Woolwich Kent, 10th May 1885

The marriage is on ancestry. The image is fuzzy -
Frederick William Clark, Soldier, father John Horne Clark, Auctioneer

Army record gives a full description. Frederick doesn't seem to have served abroad.
Think he was transferred to the Army Reserve in 1886.
So in the 1881 census he should be the chap in Woolwich Barracks, Frederick Clarke, 22, Gunner Royl Arty, born Middlesex Fulham.
Ian

Remembrance Weekend - military records on findmypast and ancestry have been free to view in recent years.
kdeering75

Postby ianbee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi
I think you have the right marriage, and that ties in with the army record and the next of kin details (father, mother, then Caroline)

And I think the death in Islington in 1928 must surely be right, as it has all those names, Frederick William Edward, and he is virtually the right age, bar a few weeks.

The mystery seems to be what happened between Frederick leaving the army in the mid 1880's and 1901. Like you, I can't pin Frederick down in 1891.
Did Caroline die and Frederick then marry Annie? Or was there a split and Frederick then lived with Annie, but didn't marry her?
In 1911 they say they have been married 22 years, so it leaves a fairly short time frame for Caroline to die or vanish. Can't see any sign that Frederick and Caroline had any children, and Annie says none in 1911.

A burial of Frederick William Edward Clark, 30 January 1928, Islington Cemetery.
The index on deceased online says there is one other person in the grave. Is that person Annie?

They were living at 30 Moray Road in 1911 and seem to have still been there when Frederick died.
Annie is on the electoral register there in 1930, then I don't know exactly where she went.
According to the census, she was a couple of years older than Frederick, so one possible death is
Dec 1932 Islington 1b 162
Clark, Annie
age 74

And a likely burial for that lady at Islington Cemetery, 2 November 1932.
Again it says there is one other person in the grave!

Caroline Louisa Pelling was born in Islington in 1855. Her first husband, Oscar Boyce, was a German hairdresser who died at Hanwell asylum in 1883. Caroline wasn't even recorded with him in the 1881 census! I believe she was a visitor somewhere else.
Ian
ianbee

Postby kdeering75 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:16 am

Yes it was Annie buried with him. I actually checked.

Yes she I know that Caroline was a visitor because she went by the initials C.L.

I can’t seem to confirm his marriage to Annie surrounding that 22 year before period or a death for Caroline.

Still a mystery.
kdeering75

Postby kdeering75 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 pm

There’s a Caroline L Clark buried in Kensal South Cemetery in May 1899. But I already wasted my credits before and so I’m not sure if checking this record would be worth while.

According to the GRO indexes there’s 2 Caroline Louisa Clark that died in 1899 in Poplar and Wandworth as well.

But he was with his new wife in the 1891 Census so it’s very confusing.
kdeering75

Next

Return to General research queries