Moderator Control Panel ]

Time

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Time

Postby woodchal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

What time does the forum work to? Posting times seem to be one hour ahead of UK time at the moment! Clocks go forward over the weekend.
woodchal

Re: Time

Postby Editor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:29 pm

That's strange! We'll get someone to look into it.
Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby woodchal » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 am

The time is now an early out again - the hour did not go on.

This is strange as most computers seem to know what time it is
woodchal

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:51 am

Hi woodchal,

I think I've solved the problem, although you might need to refresh your browser or clear the cache to see the full effect.

If it's still not working, you can tweak your own time settings by going to User Control Panel > Board preferences and making sure the 'My timezone' drop-down is set to '[UTC] Western European Time, Greenwich Mean Time' with the 'Summer Time/DST is in effect' checkbox ticked. This should at least ensure the correct time is displayed whenever you are logged in.

Thanks,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes, there are one or two forums where things go a bit pear-shaped round the clock-change. I'd forgotten it but WDYTYA is - I checked one of my posts from this a.m. - I was early - but not that early, so thanks for Jon reminding me how to change it.

I think that the basic problem is that while the WDYTYA servers know very well what their time is, what they don't know is the time where you are - that's why you have to set your own time zone. And in the case of this forum and / or the underlying software for this forum (phpBB?), it doesn't look like there's an automatic DST roll-over programmed in (no idea which end that would have to be). But apparently while we all know when our DST starts and ends, it's not the same across the globe.

Off to check the FHUG forum now - I think that has to be set manually by the administrator!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Technical help