Moderator Control Panel ]

Help With Identifying Military Uniform

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help With Identifying Military Uniform

Postby aewilson6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,I would be very grateful if somebody would be able to help with any information on identifying this uniform and may be a possible regiment?

Many thanks for your help

Anna
Attachments
Loose Picture 2.jpg
Loose Picture 2.jpg (194.91 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
aewilson6

Re: Help With Identifying Military Uniform

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Anna,

The collar tabs and sporran on this chap indicate to me that it could be the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. I would guess looking at the uniform it's about WW1. The photographer E. R. Yerbury and Sons was trading from about 1892 onwards but they didn't move into the Edinburgh address in Morningside Road,Churchill until 1903 so this photo post dates that. I am afraid I cannot give you a more exact date than that. Someone may know more about the Scottish regiments to date it closer or have another idea on the regiment.

Hope it helps

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Looking at that Army kilt site that I found the other day, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders is the only one with that type of sporran and the sort-of-double collar badge is also noted as diagnostic of the A&SH.

I've always assumed (note that word) that the Army had better things to do during 1914-18 than make full dress uniforms for any sort of recruit, so pre August 1914 would be my thought.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby aewilson6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks Dan and Adrian much appreciated. The information is really helpful and has given me something to go on in trying to identify him.

Many thanks

Anna
aewilson6

Return to Military help