Moderator Control Panel ]

Colin Daniels Death Keighley 1962

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Colin Daniels Death Keighley 1962

Postby pastisyourself » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

I have posted the following Email query to Coroners Records in North Yorkshire, Bradford, and also have contacted Keighley library to see if they have any possible Newspaper articles. I have had no luck because coroners records have only been kept for 25 years in some places and also Coroners records were frequently kept at home by the Part - time coroners.

Keighley is quite a distance from where I live. I wonder if there is local researcher who is prepared to do a small amount of checking for newspaper articles (paid work).

Alternatively does anybody know of online records that I can look at. I have checked Find my Past, Ancestry, and also contacted all local coroners department with no success.

I am researching the family tree of a Maxine Daniels and she has asked me to collect any details I can of the suicide of her father Colin Daniels in 1962.

There are no newspapers online that I have been able to locate. I wonder if Keighley Libraries would hold any papers and how I could obtain copies of the articles. Their may have been articles about the suicide itself or a subsquent inquest

The details I have are as follows:-

Colin Daniels body found 28th April 1962 (address 9 Whinfield Street, or possibly 5 Simpson Street) Keighley

Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to inhalation of coal gas, self administered

Death certificate received from E Gilbert Sharp Deputy Coroner for Craven District of Yorkshire.

Thank you for any help you can give,

Paul Trimble

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
pastisyourself

Re: Colin Daniels Death Keighley 1962

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 am

Hello
Like you I'm not in the area.It seems the papers to look for are The Keighley News and the Keighley Target both on microfilm at Bradford Archives .Although the Target also seems to be at Keighley Library.
You could try contacting the local History Society to see if they can help.
Keighley and district Local History Scoiety
http://keighleyhistory.org.uk/
Phone number 07811 385092
Email addressinfo@keighleyhistory.org.uk
Contact name Joyce Newton

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby pastisyourself » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks,

I will try contacting them today.

pastisyourself

Postby phsvm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

I'm sorry if you disagree but I don't think it is appropriate for you to be posting details of names etc (especially considering the circumstancs of this particular death) on an open forum.

1962 is still within living memory of many people. Some may be researching this family and come across your post without knowing certain facts.

If I was a newbie to genealogy and was trying to find out about an individual, put their name in a search engine and came up with a post like yours it could cause considerable distress.

I believe this forum has quite strong views about posting anything relating to people who have been alive this recently - we ask that it's not done.
phsvm

Postby pastisyourself » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm

I appreciate what you are saying and perhaps the topic should have had less info, though the info given would help locate records on search engines. However I am researching on behalf of Colin's only daughter. I have already tried contacting coroners and libraries for any info, with little success until the last few days. Having posted on this site before I am well aware that responders usually ask for more information to help locate appropriate records

pastisyourself

Return to General research queries