Moderator Control Panel ]

Establishing Link - "Shanks"

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Establishing Link - "Shanks"

Postby lin1506 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Needing help establishing correct link for Shanks Family Tree. With certificates I have, I have managed to get back to GEORGE SHANKS Birth 1846/47 Linlithgow, Dec'd 16 Dec 1875, married MARY McARTHUR 1869 (who remarried after the death of GEORGE SHANKS). And this is where I start to have problems. I cannot trace a date of birth for George Shanks.
His parents are on the Death Cert - JAMES SHANKS and MARGARET WITHERSPOON (married abt 12 Jun 1846). I have conflicting JAMES SHANKS - on the 1861 Scotland Census it has a DoB of abt 1825 for JAMES SHANKS, and lists children GEORGE (detailed above) 1846, THOMAS 1850, JAMES 1853 and MARGARET 1859 - but again I cannot find them on SCOTLANDSPEOPLE site. I originally used the JAMES SHANKS Dob 06/07/1821. The parents of this JAMES SHANKS are JAMES SHANKS and ELIZABETH WALKER, but have now found another JAMES SHANKS Dob 16/08/1825 with parents JAMES SHANKS and JEAN KINDRED.
I had been using the Hints on Ancestry, and other Trees have this conflicting information. It is also quite probable that neither of the parents above are correct as my father believed we had no links to either Denny or Glasgow, which would be the case if either are correct.
Is Ancestry the best site to use, or should I consider another like Findmypast?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
lin1506

Re: Establishing Link - "Shanks"

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

There's a little bit of leaping going on here, though I'm not sure if it's in your research or your explanation.

Parents on death certificates are a risk as generally the guy best placed to know, isn't around any more. So just in case there's an error there (and there might not be) you need to get George's 1869 marriage certificate from ScotlandsPeople. In fact, you need everything. You don't mention the 1851 census, for instance, off ScotlandsPeople. I'm unclear whether you can't find the 1861 on there or what it is that you can't find.

Once you have those siblings, you have to look for them all in the baptisms. Probably best to use FamilySearch for that - I think that the Ancestry Scottish baptisms may have come from FS. I notice that the youngest is post 1855 - get her birth certificate from SP as well in case a parent has died between first and last children. It is not impossible that George was never baptised. That's why you need all his siblings as well - they might be baptised and so you might fill in a bit more. The other point is that they might be baptised in a non Church of Scotland chapel so you need census data to find where they lived and follow up if someone does have those registers.

With any luck, you will have several reports of the parents names.

So then you look for marriages for the parents. Don't start looking for parents of the parents until you have their marriage, do it systematically. I always start with FamilySearch for my searches of Scottish registers, I feel that the search is more flexible. Then I get the images from ScotlandsPeople. I've never used Ancestry or FMP for Scottish research.

Always get everything, including siblings. Always get the image off ScotlandsPeople. Look for stuff in order. If all this is obvious to you, fine, but as I said, it wasn't obvious that you had done it all.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I would stick to Scotland's People as they have the original records and the images. You state that the marriage in 1846 was about 12 June 1846 so I assume you haven't seen it as an image, that would be the first point of call in my view. There are limitations to Scotland's People in that only have the records of the Established Church of Scotland pre-1855 and the 'Great Disruption' of 1843 when the Established Church splintered and remained so (except the Free Church) to the late 1920s, so the records are scattered. Of course there may be no baptisms at all, I assume George was born before they married, if not then the Kirk Session records may help (the Established Church was rather hot on this subject at the time) and would 'drag' people to appear before them at Church services.
junkers

Postby lin1506 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Many thanks for your advice and I apologise for being unclear. I am quite new to this and am very probably doing too much at once, and in the wrong order. I will relook at the evidence I have, then search on FamilySearch to see what I have that is clearly wrong.
lin1506

Postby lin1506 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm

junkers wrote:I would stick to Scotland's People as they have the original records and the images. You state that the marriage in 1846 was about 12 June 1846 so I assume you haven't seen it as an image, that would be the first point of call in my view. There are limitations to Scotland's People in that only have the records of the Established Church of Scotland pre-1855 and the 'Great Disruption' of 1843 when the Established Church splintered and remained so (except the Free Church) to the late 1920s, so the records are scattered. Of course there may be no baptisms at all, I assume George was born before they married, if not then the Kirk Session records may help (the Established Church was rather hot on this subject at the time) and would 'drag' people to appear before them at Church services.

[/quote]I have the Banns that were posted on 12 June 1846, no certificate. George died in 1875, aged 29 years, from that I have estimated he was born around 1846 - the same year of the Banns being posted. But there is no record on Scotlands People of his birth. The information you have provided shows there is a lot to learn to do this.[quote]
lin1506

Re: Establishing Link -

Postby lin1506 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:There's a little bit of leaping going on here, though I'm not sure if it's in your research or your explanation.

Parents on death certificates are a risk as generally the guy best placed to know, isn't around any more. So just in case there's an error there (and there might not be) you need to get George's 1869 marriage certificate from ScotlandsPeople. In fact, you need everything. You don't mention the 1851 census, for instance, off ScotlandsPeople. I'm unclear whether you can't find the 1861 on there or what it is that you can't find.

Once you have those siblings, you have to look for them all in the baptisms. Probably best to use FamilySearch for that - I think that the Ancestry Scottish baptisms may have come from FS. I notice that the youngest is post 1855 - get her birth certificate from SP as well in case a parent has died between first and last children. It is not impossible that George was never baptised. That's why you need all his siblings as well - they might be baptised and so you might fill in a bit more. The other point is that they might be baptised in a non Church of Scotland chapel so you need census data to find where they lived and follow up if someone does have those registers.

With any luck, you will have several reports of the parents names.

So then you look for marriages for the parents. Don't start looking for parents of the parents until you have their marriage, do it systematically. I always start with FamilySearch for my searches of Scottish registers, I feel that the search is more flexible. Then I get the images from ScotlandsPeople. I've never used Ancestry or FMP for Scottish research.

Always get everything, including siblings. Always get the image off ScotlandsPeople. Look for stuff in order. If all this is obvious to you, fine, but as I said, it wasn't obvious that you had done it all.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Thank you for this advice. I will have a look at FamilySearch and recheck my notes and with luck I will find what I am looking for.
lin1506

Return to General research queries