Moderator Control Panel ]

Experiences ordering WWII service records from MoD?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Ivan Watson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with ordering Second World War service records from the Ministry of Defence? My father ordered his father's (my grandfather's) Royal Navy records from the MoD through the next of kin provision, provided payment and has been waiting to receive them for over 7 months. They haven't arrived yet. How long does it usually take? Has anyone successfully received their family member's service records and if so, was it worth the wait?

Cheers,

Ivan
Ivan Watson

Postby brunes08 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Yes. In response to your query, I was able to obtain my late father-in-law's Royal Naval records quite quickly - in fact just under one month last summer. I may have been lucky because the application process stated somewhere that it could be a long wait depending on how easy/difficult it was to trace the records. When they arrived, I was pleased at how much information there was on his service in the Mediterranean. It was well worth the effort.
I should add that I was able to provide additional information from documents the family held. This may have speeded up identification of the correct records.
brunes08

Re: Experiences ordering WWII service records from MoD?

Postby MaureenE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 am

Some years ago I read there was about a twelve month wait, but I do not know what the current wait usually is.

I have read that it is best to request "FULL records", as if you don't, you may not receive them all.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 am

If memory serves me right, it took about 9-12 months for me to get my father’s army records from the MOD (Glasgow?). This was a few years ago.
Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 am

I've ordered recently (Army & Air Force,but not Navy) ..... and they have arrived surprisingly quickly - in about 6 weeks I think.
AntonyM

Postby maxine tallon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 am

I have successfully ordered three lots of service records, my father's my uncle's and my aunt's the time it took for them to come varied but it was definitely worth the wait. I have also ordered my grandfather's service record from the 3rd bat coldstream guards, these came really quickly but had to be ordered directly from the regiment. These covered the Boer war and were very interesting.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Might be worth following up with the MoD Ivan if you have some sort of reference number to give them. I've never ordered stuff but I've seen people say that they're getting a lot better - but whether it's across the board or just Army or RAF (say), I have no knowledge. You'll probably just get the standard "It'll take as long as it takes" response but at least someone might actually make an internal enquiry even if they don't admit it!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

Hi,Ivan
I sent off for my dads service record last year.I had an initial reply to say they had received it and saying they were taking longer than they would like to process.
It took about 5weeks. Well worth doing, very interesting.
Good Luck
Grace :)
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries