Moderator Control Panel ]

British Army birth Montreal Canada 1766

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

British Army birth Montreal Canada 1766

Postby gen2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:12 pm

George Barnes in the 1851 Census for Woodbridge, Suffolk stated that he was born in Mowpen Brow, in the United States. I cannot find any reference to Mowpen Brow (other than Mowpen Brow in Knutsford Cheshire) I assume that as the date being 1766 it would be situated in Canada rather than the USA. I've looked at the FamilyRelatives site for GRO Army Births Overseas, but no joy.

George did join the 12th Regiment of Foot 17 Feb 1784 aged 18
(Regiment mustered at Windsor) Capt Kay's Company
Deserted 24 April 1791 aged 25 at Clonohilly Ireland
Served Windsor, Newcastle, Tynemouth, Sunderland, Scotland, Channel Islans.
1790 joined the Marines with the Fleet 6 months.
Has anyone any advice as to how to proceed looking for George's birth?

Thanks for any help.

Gen2
gen2

Re: British Army birth Montreal Canada 1766

Postby MoVidger » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced the actual census image says "America, Mowpen Brow".
I'll need to study it some more...

Update: I think it says: "America, Montreal...."
MoVidger

Postby beacon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:48 pm

I think it says America Montreal and in the final column Blind.
beacon

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:01 pm

The only source I know of is the Drouin Collection on Ancestry which includes both RC and Protestant church records for New France and later, i.e. Lower Canada and Quebec. I did not find a baptism for George.
The most likely scenario is that George's father was a soldier stationed in Montreal after New France came under British control in 1763. Or possibly an Englishman who decided to try his luck there in some other capacity but returned home, possibly put off by Montreal's harsh winters :D .
I did find a James Barns, no e, buried (Anglican) after drowning in 1797, a soldier, age 27. His regiment and company is given. He was a private.
DianaCanada

Postby gen2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:55 pm

DianaCanada wrote:The only source I know of is the Drouin Collection on Ancestry which includes both RC and Protestant church records for New France and later, i.e. Lower Canada and Quebec. I did not find a baptism for George.
The most likely scenario is that George's father was a soldier stationed in Montreal after New France came under British control in 1763. Or possibly an Englishman who decided to try his luck there in some other capacity but returned home, possibly put off by Montreal's harsh winters :D .
I did find a James Barns, no e, buried (Anglican) after drowning in 1797, a soldier, age 27. His regiment and company is given. He was a private.

Hello DianaCanada,

Thanks for the interest and information about the Drouin Collection, this was new to me. I shall definitely look at the website. i have found a Joseph Barnes on the Ancestry site for British Soldiers in Canada, but haven't managed to follow that up yet.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Cheers Gen2
gen2

Return to General research queries