Moderator Control Panel ]

Priscilla or Emma Jane Hipkins

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Priscilla or Emma Jane Hipkins

Postby janmlawson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Please help decipher a birth record. Jan 1853 v6c p48 Priscilla Hipkins but above it says Emma Jane with same reference. On the 1861 Census there is just Emma Jane. Thanks
janmlawson

Re: Priscilla or Emma Jane Hipkins

Postby neergydna » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm

The two entries suggest that they were twins. Can we have more information about the 1861 Census entry. Priscilla may have died before 1861.

Andy
neergydna

Postby trace » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Why do you think they are related in anyway? They could have been 2 separate births to 2 different families.

EDIT : on GRO index Priscilla has mothers maiden name as NICKLIN. Is this the same as Emma Jane's mother?
No entry for Emma Jane....!!

You probably need to send for both certificates...if indeed there are 2!
trace

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 pm

janmlawson wrote:... Jan 1853 v6c p48 Priscilla Hipkins but above it says Emma Jane with same reference. On the 1861 Census there is just Emma Jane. Thanks

It's not just "above it says Emma Jane" - if you look at the original image of the GRO index on FreeBMD, the whole page is in one handwriting and "Hipkins Priscilla Dudley 6c 48" is in that original handwriting. "Hipkins Emma Jane Dudley 6c 48" is, however, quite clearly in a different hand and is interpolated between two of the original lines. In other words, it's a later amendment entry.

As stated above, Priscilla is the only entry in the new GRO index and also http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk has only Priscilla.

Quite what that later, inserted "Emma Jane" entry refers to, I have no idea, I see no clue. My obvious first guess is that her name has been changed after registration. But I've no idea what such a change would look like - or why the West Midlands BMD entry has no clue either.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Baptism of Emma Jane on FreeReg, Park Lane Wesleyan Chapel, Tipton Green.
28 April 1853, parents William and Hannah
Born 15 March, so a fairly quick registration to be in the March quarter.
They would seem to have changed their minds about her name in April! (I like Priscilla)

Also baptized there on other occasions were Samuel, born 2 October 1851 and Mary Helen, born 29 October 1856. Parents William and Hannah Hipkins.
Maiden name of mother in the new GRO index for them, Nicklen/Nicklin
ianbee

Postby janmlawson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks everyone. I thought maybe it was just a name change but it just seemed odd and something I hadn't seen before, though people with more experience have probably seen it previously.
janmlawson

Return to General research queries