Moderator Control Panel ]

Find My Past - Website Seems to be Overwhelmed.....

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Find My Past - Website Seems to be Overwhelmed.....

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same problems that I have been recently, with the 'Find My Past' website?

In the last few weeks, probably from late last year, I have had increasing instances of finding the website apparently overwhelmed, especially in the afternoon. I do a search, often for quite simple things, or quite specific enquiries, that should produce a result in seconds. But instead, I get the twirling wheel, suggesting that the search is going on....and on....and on! And in fact, no result ever gets produced.

'Find My Past' has added so much data in the last year or so, and has gone all out to get customers from the UK and also elsewhere, that I wonder if it's servers are struggling to cope. It is somewhat annoying and frustrating, having paid their top subscription, to find that there are times when they just cannot provide and results to enquiries.

Is anyone else having problems? Can anyone suggest solutions?

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Find My Past - Website Seems to be Overwhelmed.....

Postby AntonyM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Had no problems with FMP at all recently - working fine for me.
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 am

To be honest, Jane, I can't really say that I've seen any issues. And I'm using it from the UK, so I must be in the most popular peak time.

Do you get similar issues on other sites?

I wonder if it's actually an internet connection issue? You send the query off, the answer is sent back but never reaches you?? And I have absolutely no idea how to test that idea or even if it makes sense.

The other trick might be to try a different browser. While you'd think that they all behave the same, it's not true. I was attempting to watch Simon Schama on iPlayer via Firefox. Pretty much a failure - continuous sound, very discontinuous pictures. Same thing via Chrome, couple of minutes later, no problem.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 am

Hello
Yes I've has similar problems.It particularly doesn't want to download the images.I'll do a couple of searches fine and then it will stick with whirley sign.
The answer is to download the image but that takes ages as well.
Google chrome it really doesn't like but mozilla firefox is better.
I've not tried internet explorer.
Like you i have the top subscription and it is vexing.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 am

Hi everyone,

Yes, Ciderdrinker's experience is very close to my own. It behaves fine, especially in the morning, sometimes for a couple of hours of searches, but then later in the day, it sticks on the whirlies. And I have no such problems on Ancestry, FamilySearch etc.

This behaviour does mirror other non-genealogical sites that I have used before, where the problem was a server capacity issue. This looks more probable given that this has not always been a problem on Find My Past, it does appear to have kicked in, just in the last few months. And the other clue is that it seems to happen at a time of day when one might expect more UK users to be settling down to an afternoon of genealogical research. I have not generally experienced the same problem in the morning, when one feels intuitively that there are likely to be fewer users of the website, as people are otherwise engaged.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby MaureenE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

You could try clearing your internet browser history and see if that makes any difference.

In the past I was having problems with an aspect of the Internet Archive (Archive.org) and I was advised to clear my browser history, which resolved the problem. I was recently having problems with the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, which I couldn't access at all, (although the rest of the Internet Archive seemed OK) and clearing my browser history again resolved the problem.

However, be aware that after clearing your browser, you may need to reset your sign in to some websites, although my (saved) sign in to this Forum was not effected.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to General research queries