Moderator Control Panel ]

Inviting people to view a tree on Ancestry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Inviting people to view a tree on Ancestry

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 pm

I’m trying to invite an Ancestry member to view my private tree & they’re trying to do the same to me, but our invites don’t seem to be going anywhere. We’re using Usernames. The one i’ve sent is showing as Waiting for a response in my tree setting, but she hasn’t got it

Anyone have any ideas??
Jenaheldd

Re: Inviting people to view a tree on Ancestry

Postby pforkes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 am

So I am having the exact same problem and coincidentally I have just gotten off the phone with Ancestry.

Ancestry told me that they would write up an incident report and that it would take their I.T. about a couple of days (possibly) to look into this and that in the meanwhile I should send the user another invite!

This particular situation of mine has been going on for months now, with me asking her for an invite only to be told that she has sent me this invite many times and that she's not going to do it again!

This is disappointing, because it is a relative that I have found through AncestryDNA and within a few months of locating her, Ancestry has created a relationship between us that has virtually come to blows; and that she never wants to speak to me again; AND their I.T. department cannot even be bothered to get back to me to tell if/when this problem will be fixed.

My guess is that you and I are not the only two people who are having this problem, and that it could be endemic within Ancestry.
pforkes

Postby pforkes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 am

Below is the reply from Ancestry. It seems thatchy have a fundamental problem....

"I’m Ingrid, a Directly Ancestry Expert. I would like to help.

Ancestry is in the process of making a variety of changes and users have been reporting their messages are going astray. Ancestry is aware of this, they are working to fix it, but at this time we have no estimated time that it will be fixed.

I am going to escalate your issue to the tech department, and that will close this communication.

You should hear back via email at some point from Ancestry. As this is impacting many users it may be awhile before you do hear back.

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

I hope this information helps answer your questions.

Ingrid"
pforkes

Postby paulr1949 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am

Are you in contact via the "send a message to the owner"? I only ask because I did that and am now in contact with a fourth cousin in Australia, but after the initial contact, we communicated by email - might be easier than waiting for ancestry to sort out its problems!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby meekhcs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am

This has been going on for a long time. I had the same problem last year, and in the end we exchanged email addresses through PMs here, but she never was able to access the tree I specifically put together for her with our joint FH, which took me some time, and like pforkes it didn't end well, as she doubted that I had actually constructed the tree!

Ancestry need a good shake up regarding their "after care service". They seem to be so centred on adding records, growing membership to its website, with free access days becoming more of a regular occurence to encourage membership, and DNA testing, that everything else has gone to pot. Whilst I understand the need for them, as a commercial business, to grow in all these areas, if they do not respond to queries and problems in a professional manner, and actually provide solutions where needed, then people will move their business elsewhere.There are plenty of other options.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am

I recently encountered difficulties in sharing my tree with a newly-discovered cousin.

The issue was that the tree owner’s name was displaying as “Arthur Smith” whereas his Ancestry account was “abcsmith” (name changed). I initially invited Arthur Smith but kept getting a message saying “user not known”. Frustratingly I can’t now remember how I discovered the difference between the two.
JaneyH

Postby Jenaheldd » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks all for the input - I'm glad to know its not just me doing something wrong.

I've been in contact with the person through the general messages bit, and that works fine. She had my user name wrong at first (as JaneyH says) but we rectified that (although still not seen the invite) and I've asked her to confirm hers, just to make sure. Both our trees are private so it's proving a bit of a pain.

I have invited non-Ancestry members to view the tree using their email addresses, so I think we'll have to try this method next.

Think I will drop a line to Ancestry and add my annoyance to those that they've probably already got ... not that it'll make any difference I'm sure.
Jenaheldd

Return to General research queries