Moderator Control Panel ]

Two marriages!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Two marriages!

Postby paulr1949 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm

I've uploaded part of my tree on Ancestry to eventually share with a recently-discovered 4th cousin and whilst dealing with the hints I have found an anomaly.
My great grandfather Ernest Ebenezer (or Ebenezer Ernest) Gill married Marion Lavinia Raynold on 11 July 1882. A family book compiled by another cousin in pre-internet days records the marriage in Ongar, Essex. Checking on FreeBMD I duly found it - along with another record for them both in Kensington!
E E Gill marriage record capture.JPG
Record for E E Gill
E E Gill marriage record capture.JPG (22.18 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

and here is the record for M L Raynold

M L Raynold marriage record capture.JPG
M L Raynold marriage record capture.JPG (20.89 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

I am a bit mystified. Any thoughts welcome!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Re: Two marriages!

Postby clarksclerks » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 pm

I think you need to get the marriage certificates and these might shed some light. The names are sufficiently distinctive to eliminate (just about) the chance that they are two different couples. Perhaps they were of two different faiths and married twice, once in each church, to appease families, or perhaps they married first in a civil ceremony and then in church, or perhaps family members were too frail/poor/ etc to travel between Ongar and Kensington so the couple decided to have a wedding for each family! In any case, it appears they 'forgot' to tell the celebrants that they had already been married.

Any other ideas?
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby junkers » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

As the GRO indexes say the same thing I wonder if there was something about his being in the Church (Holy Orders), as has been said I would suggest getting the marriage certificates, at least the first one. Given that what seems to be the first marriage was in Ongar whether the Essex Record Office have any information.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 am

I have to agree that the only thing to do is get both certificates and see if there is any difference. However, be prepared to find nothing obvious! Over the years, on different boards and lists, I have seen several people enquiring about a second, duplicate marriage for the same couple. My own 3G GF married his second wife twice, 6 months apart. Why? No idea there or in any of the other cases brought up.

So, if there is nothing to explain it, at least you are not alone!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 am

Yes, I agree I need to get one or both Certificates. Ongar doesn't seem to be a parish in its own right, so I will need to find the parishes in the district and see what records are available at the Essex RO. I was rather taken aback!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

Paul,
Ongar is the RD. If you go to freebmd and pull up the marriage entry then click on Ongar, it will lead you to the page for Ongar, which contains a link to a list showing which Parishes it covers. After a quick check, I found there are 26 parishes! From Abbess Roding to Willingale Spain - good hunting
Mick Loney

Postby trace » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Would it have anything to do with him being a 'reverend'.....on Clergy List 1897....?
trace

Postby paulr1949 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:31 pm

trace wrote:Would it have anything to do with him being a 'reverend'.....on Clergy List 1897....?

You beat me to it - I have gone back to the book I have and found that, at the time of the marriage, he was a curate at St Mary Abbots church, High Street, Kensington when he married at Greenstead Church, Ongar 11/7/1882. Not sure how I missed that. I have sent for both certificates, as I still don't understand why the are two GRO entries! His bride was also only 15 years old when they married (born 5/8/1866). That may have something to do with her father dying when she was 2, and mother marrying again when she was 4 - who knows?!
Paul
paulr1949

Postby paulr1949 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Curiouser and curiouser!
The certificates arrived this morning. Both marriages are listed on the same day (11 July 1882).
The marriage in Kensington was at the register office - surprising as he was a curate - and shows Ebenezer as 29 and Mary Anne (Marion) as 19. Mary Anne was actually 15, as she was born on 5 August 1866 and maybe this is the reason? However, the two witnesses on the marriage certificate were Henry Tidd and Margaret Ellen Tidd: Margaret Ellen was formerly Margaret Ellen Raynold, as Mary Anne's father (Thomas William Thorne Raynold) died in 1868, aged just 25 (and after only 3 years of marriage), and Margaret remarried in 1970. They, therefore didn't have any objection! Hopefully, I have posted the certificate below, it says "Married in the Register Office by Certificate before me" and signed by the Registrar and the deputy Superintendent Ragistrar.
The marriage in Greensted church, Ongar, shows Ebenezer as "full age" and Mary Anne as "Minor". Both say bachelor and spinster.
The two witnesses in Greensted are not relations and I have been unable to discover them locally.
Any further thoughts welcome!

Gill Raynold snip 1.JPG
Gill Raynold snip 1.JPG (112.93 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

Gill Raynold snip 2.JPG
Gill Raynold snip 2.JPG (103.26 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Sylcec » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Is it possible that the bride had never been baptised, or was not a member of Church of England - hence the registry office marriage?
Sylcec

Next

Return to General research queries