Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA test for uncle information?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA test for uncle information?

Postby Simon45 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm thinking of getting my uncle to do a DNA test
Would this show anymore information on the tree lines than if I did a test ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Re: DNA test for uncle information?

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:05 pm

A DNA test is not a shortcut to your research, and is pretty useless without a Tree to back it up!
You do a test to re-inforce your research, not replace it. Sites such as Ancestry or Gedmatch will give you clues as to who has a match to your dna, and so share a common ancestor, but if you don’t have a tree, how are you going to find out who that common ancestor is!
Mick Loney

Postby Simon45 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a tree on Ancestry already that shows my uncle

Simon45

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm

But how far does your tree go? Your uncle is only 1 generation back, and to take advantage of the dna test, you need to stretch your tree to your 5 or 6’greatgrandparents at least. The further back you go, the more chance of finding a match.
However, in saying that, having your uncle tested, means the dna will be 1 generation closer to these distant ancestors, but only on your fathers side. His dna will not contain any of your mother’s dna, so this side of your tree will not be covered.
Mick Loney

Postby Simon45 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi
My tree does go back about 4-5 generations on my paternal side and on my maternal side

Just a query how does it recognize older ancestors if they did not have any DNA tests all those years ago .....

Simon45

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:27 pm

It doesn’t. All it tells you, is that you and someone else shared a common ancestor some generations ago. You have to talk to the other person and examine both trees to see who it could be. If you don’t have a tree, this would be impossible.
In my case, I had already connected to some very distant cousins via our trees on Ancestry. We then communicated to confirm our common ancestors. When we the did dna tests, it only confirmed what we already knew! I.e. we hadn’t made errors in our research.

I have recently been looking at one of my closest dna matches (3 or 4 generations to our common ancestor) but to date, we have not discovered the link!

It really is a case of detective work. Once you have found the common ancestor, you’ll know (from the matching parts of your dna) which part of your dna came from them. Slowly, slowly, slowly you’ll build up a map of your dna and hopefully, you’ll eventually discover which part came from which ancestor. At that point, when a person is suggested as a dna match, you’ll have some idea of who your common ancestor could be, simply by examining that part of your dna you both share.
Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is NOT a magic bullet to solve all your genealogy problems, but just another tool to help you in your research!
Mick Loney

Postby Simon45 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi
Ok I now understand how it works
I'll let you know when I get my results back ....hopefully with some clues

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Return to General research queries