Moderator Control Panel ]

Railway Occupation Query

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Railway Occupation Query

Postby DarcyLPontmercy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 am

This is my first post on these forums so I apologise in advance if I have given either too much or too little information below...

Whilst trying to investigate the identities of some of the nephews listed in the obituary of my Great Great Grandmother, I recently discovered a distant relative Henry Marriott (b1865) listed in the Railway Employment Records on Ancestry. Henry appears to have starting working at Matlock Bridge Station as a "Mac Clk" for the Midland Railway two weeks after his 14th birthday on 27th February 1879, before being "discharged" about three months later on 24th May 1879. By the time of the 1881 census he seems to have moved to Long Eaton and become a lace maker.

Looking at other entries in the Railway Employment records there are lots of entries for "Mac Clerk" ("Clk" presumably being a shortening of Clerk) or "Mac Youth", however unfortunately I have no idea what this job was and google doesn't seem to offer any clues? I tried searching for other some of the other lads listed with this occupation in the 1881 census in the hope that the enumerator hadn't used the same abbreviation but these mostly just seem to be listed as Railway Clerks, although I did find one who listed his occupation as Railway Machine Boy. "Mac" could therefore be short for machine, although I'm not sure that 'Machine Clerk' really makes a lot of sense?!

From my brief reading online being a Railway Clerk was an administrative job offering good career prospects (assuming you passed the probationary period) and was considered of higher status than more manual jobs such as Railway Porters or Labourers etc. (which I might have expected to be Henry's lot based on his age) so since Henry only kept this job for three months does being "discharged" suggest he was sacked?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any enlightenment!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
DarcyLPontmercy

Re: Railway Occupation Query

Postby meekhcs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

I have many Railway Ancestors but I have never come across Mac Clk. However looking at the record for your Henry on Ancestry I then scrolled on through several pages and sure enough up came Machine Clerk, Machine Lad, Machine Youth. All of these people would have beeen involved in issueing tickets at the Stations.
meekhcs

Re: Railway Occupation Query

Postby DarcyLPontmercy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 pm

I obviously wasn't persistent enough! So Henry was a ticket seller. Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
DarcyLPontmercy

Return to General research queries