Moderator Control Panel ]

Linde de Arenspries. Where does this surname come from?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Linde de Arenspries. Where does this surname come from?

Postby barbary » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Rudolph Linde de Arenspries,is my grandfather, but where did he come from? and where does that surname originate from?
He was married to Alice Louisa Burnell B.1881 in the Falkland Islands,they had 3 children.
Eyolf Rudolph. b. 1908 ? where. d. Buenos Airies.
Rudolph Charles. b. 1910 Falkland Islands. d. Toronto.
Solvieg b. 1912. ? where. d. Salisbury U.K.
Both boy's were christened in the Falkland Islands at Christchurch cathdral. The baptisimal certificates state their father's occupation was a Civil Engineer, and confirm the surname was Linde de Arenspries. (I always thought it was a figment of my mothers Solvieg's imagination.)
This information I got from the Falkland Island archives
He died before my mother was born ( 19/5/1912 ) She thought he died at sea and was Norwegian. Subsequently Alice married again to a Lionel Smith, so the surname didn't continue.
Gleaned from the F.I. archives are several references in the Falkland Island Times shipping arrivals and departures to the family, the surname has been printed as Arenspries, Ahrenspries and Linde de Arenspries.
Any help/ suggestions on how to crack this brick wall would be much appreciated.
Barbary.
barbary

Re: Linde de Arenspries. Where does this surname come from?

Postby JMcK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I see you have posted this problem several times over the years with no success.

I notice that in 1892 in Ontario, Canada there is a marriage of Bernard AHRENS to Maria PRIES. That’s too late to be your man’s parents but perhaps a path worth perusing.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/s ... ource=7921
JMcK

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am

Hi
I can see one other Linde de Arienspreis record for 1956 on arrival in N Y from Argentina.
Linde is a Spanish surname so it would link to Spanish speaking countries.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Civil Engineer might mean almost anything but it might be that he was a qualified Civil Engineer, in which case he would have membership of some institution of civil engineering in some country. That would be one avenue to follow. I know only that the membership records of the UK's Institute of Civil Engineers are on Ancestry. I suspect that you may have already looked there but if not....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:45 pm

I notice that in 1892 in Ontario, Canada there is a marriage of Bernard AHRENS to Maria PRIES. That’s too late to be your man’s parents but perhaps a path worth perusing.

Unless of course they eventually married in their forties for maybe army pension reasons.
Just a thought.
jimbo50

Postby MaureenE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Perhaps DNA testing may offer some leads?

Cheers
Maureen

Edit I found a Google search result for "Familie Ahrens/Pries" who lived during WW2 in Bleckede in the north of Germany http://www.geschichtsatlas.de/~gb34/Akt ... ragung.htm
Google Translate https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleckede
MaureenE

Postby Sylcec » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 am

I see that Ciderdrinker says that Linde is a Spanish surname. I was wondering if it might be Portuguese. I have a Brazilian friend and most of her Facebook posts are in Portuguese - her friends often comment "Linde" which I think means beautiful.

As the Falklands are off the South American coast (Argentinian) a Spanish or Portuguese language origin seems possible.

On the other hand, the children's given names don't seem to have a Spanish or Portuguese flavour - it's a real puzzle.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby brunes08 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 pm

I wondered if the issue of names here might be because of the way in which the Spanish name their offspring. In Spain, the child has a given name but the surname is not the father's alone. The last name is the mother's surname. So, if that were the case, the Linde part could be the father's and the de Arenspries, the mother's surnames. Which could indicate that the father was Norwegian and the mother Spanish. I'm not sure if the same is true for the Portuguese.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 pm

I've just looked up Norwegian, Swedish and Danish surnames. Each country has several surnames beginning with Lind/Linde.
brunes08

Postby Dorchadas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Linde de Arenspries is a combined surname. It came into being via either Spanish naming customs or Scandinavian naming customs. The latter seems the most likely in this case. Your grandfather received Linde from one of his parents, while he received De Arenspries from his other parent.

With that said, De Arenspries is likely of German origin. To read more about that, please go to back to the thread that you created on Behind the Surname (in February of this year) to read about it, because I'm not allowed to post a direct link to it.

De would be a corruption of German Der. Alternatively, it could have been influenced by the Dutch language somewhat, as De is the Dutch equivalent of German Der. All in all, it seems that the surname means "the prize of honour" and that your first ancestor with this surname used it because of something personal related to him (e.g. he won a prize or considered himself a prize).
Dorchadas

Next

Return to General research queries