Moderator Control Panel ]

How I am related

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

How I am related

Postby Tomkski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am

Hi all

I recently discovered I had an aunt and uncle (or half aunt/uncles) that I was unaware of. Basically my maternal grandfather had a relationship with another woman after my maternal grandmother died. It's relatively complicated but I've added an image to explain the situation, but, from the image, is anyone able to tell me what relationship GS1 and GS2 are to GD1 and GS3..?

SKOL Tomsk thang.png
Family tree thang
SKOL Tomsk thang.png (19.26 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Tomkski

Re: How I am related

Postby JMcK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am

I don’t think they are related at all. There is no common ancestor.
However Children of D2 Would be related to both groups as she has a parent from each set of grandparents.

I suppose you could call the step cousins If you wanted to.
JMcK

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am

I'd agree with JMcK. There is no common ancestor between the people you asked about, so we would generally not regard them as related.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they are not linked to you. If you met and got along with them, you might say that in some wide sense, "We Are Family". Just don't expect there to be a convenient term for the link that you describe.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Tomkski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 am

Cheers guys . So there is no such term as step-cousin?
Tomkski

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am

I'm tempted to say that, "There is now, because you just made it up!"

It's certainly not a term that I've come across. People do tend to make up terms by sticking in words like step and half but the problem is that, as with any new term, no-one else understands what you mean. An example is step-grandfather. Is that step-father of your parent? Father of your step-parent? Or even step-father of your step-parent? The answer is that it's whatever you tell people it means.

So use the term if you like but you'll need to explain it all the time or risk misunderstanding. It might be easier to explain it as, "We're linked through...."

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries