Moderator Control Panel ]

Can a partners DNA mix into your DNA.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can a partners DNA mix into your DNA.

Postby vito74 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

I have tested DNA with familytree and Ancestry and used them to up loaded them onto my heritage. They come up with slight differences. But near same matches on people who match. Only on one did it say a trace of Africa, Nigeria in fact. My wife is Nigerian. Can your partner DNA weave into you own. Even a tiny amount.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: Can a partners DNA mix into your DNA.

Postby Sylcec » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 pm

NO!
Your DNA is your identity - it is what you are born with, and inherited from your ancestors.
I'm not sure, but possibly the only way it could be changed if you have had a bone marrow transplant as a result of, eg a blood cancer.
Sylcec

Re: Can a partners DNA mix into your DNA.

Postby Guy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am

vito74 wrote:I have tested DNA with familytree and Ancestry and used them to up loaded them onto my heritage. They come up with slight differences. But near same matches on people who match. Only on one did it say a trace of Africa, Nigeria in fact. My wife is Nigerian. Can your partner DNA weave into you own. Even a tiny amount.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Yes very easily.

If for instance a couple were engaged in one of the more exuberant forms of kissing just prior to the DNA test there is a good chance that salvia could have been exchanged and incorporated into a saliva DNA sample.

There are of course, other explanations and reasons why matches may be found in DNA samples from unrelated people.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries