Moderator Control Panel ]

army service numbers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

army service numbers

Postby windy35 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am

I wondered if anyone knows how to get an army service number. I would like to send for my parents army records from the second world war,but to fill in the forms you have to have their service numbers,which I do not have! Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
windy35

Re: army service numbers

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi, you don't need the service numbers. You only need date of birth.Theforms are very easy to fill in and tell you that either service number or date of birth, only one is mandatory. I recently got my fathers service record and I didn't have his service number. Download the MOD forms and you'll see.You will need a copy of death certificate and proof that you are next of kin.To make sure I also sent a copy of ,my dad's birth certificate.I was named on the death certificate as daughter so that covered me.
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: army service numbers

Postby windy35 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Thank you Grace. I must have misread the form as I thought I had to have the service number. I will download the forms and send.

Thank you very much again.

Wendy
windy35

Return to Military help