Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding records from Bellaghy, Co. Londonderry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Finding records from Bellaghy, Co. Londonderry

Postby nuttree » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm

We have been researching our family tree since 1986 but are still stuck with James McMullin who was a shoe maker in Bellaghy in 1824. The only record we have of him is on his son's military papers. Henry McMullin was bOrn 4 Feb 1824 in Bellaghy we don't know what denomination his family were. Henry was a career soldier and attested at Ballaghy, Londonderry on the 4 August 1841 aged 17½ and 5ft 6ins tall. His occupation was given as a labourer. He was listed as under age until 4 Feb 1842. He served in South Africa returning to Berwick on Tweed we don't think he ever returned to Ireland. We want to know who his parents were and if he had any siblings. 1824 does not seem that long ago compared with our other lines.
PLEASE Can anyone help us find anything about JAMES McMULLIN
nuttree

Re: Finding records from Bellaghy, Co. Londonderry

Postby MayHam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 pm

According to PRONI, the McMullins (various spellings) in the Bellaghy Magherafelt Parish in the Barony of Loughinsholin have been Protestant since at least 1740.
Surname
Forename

McMullan
Alexander
Magherafelt
1740 Protestant Householders

McMullan
Daniel
Magherafelt

McMullan
James
Magherafelt

McMullan
John (1)
Magherafelt

McMullan
John (2)
Magherafelt

McMullen
Alexander
Magherafelt
1766 Religious Census

McMullen
James
Magherafelt
1766 Religious Census

McMullen
Neal
Magherafelt
1766 Religious Census
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ProniNames_IE ... tails.aspx

It took me awhile to figure out on the RootsIreland site that Londonderry is just called Co. Derry.

James McMullin of Killyberry Ballyscullion, Castledawson Parish PRC
1= 12 Dec 1799, First Garvagh Parish Presbyterian Church, Co. Derry, Mary Nickle
I
Jean
13-Feb-1810

James
17-Feb-1812

David
27-Dec-1813

2= 10 Jan 1814, Castledawson Parish PRC, Mary McCrory, Wit: Robert McCrory
I
Edward
14-Nov-1814

Samuel
03-Aug-1817

Henery
03-Apr-1824

Matthew
28-Jan-1826

3?= 12 May 1831, Castledawson Parish PRC, Mary Young, Wit: James McMullin

Name: Henery Mcmullin
Date of Baptism: 03-Apr-1824
Address: Killyberry, Ballyscullion
Parish/District: CASTLEDAWSON
County: Co. Derry
Denomination: Presbyterian
Father: James Mcmullin
http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/view_detail ... rry&page=1

Sorry I couldn't find James Sr. or Mary McCrory's baptism in Co. Derry. Hope this helps.
MayHam

Postby nuttree » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

Wow thank you very much for this after so many years it looks like at last we have a break through. I'll take a little time to absorb everything you have found and get back latter.
nuttree

Postby nuttree » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 am

I am so pleased to have this wonderful break through.
Please excuse my total ignorance about Irish records, can you clear up a couple of questions please?
Do the wedding records record if the brides were spinsters or widows?
Do either the wedding or baptism records give the father's occupation/
What does PRC mean in this context?
Are all the marriages and baptisms at the same place i.e. First Garvagh Parish Presbyterian Church?

I am so delighted to have this information knowing the family were Presbyterians makes sense as we know Henry married in 1856 in the Church of Scotland which of course is also Presbyterian He had been barracked in Berwick on Tweed and probably met his bride in the church.
I previously said I didn't think he returned to Ireland but I was wrong in saying that. He was definitely in Femoy in 1861 and his son James was born somewhere in Ireland 10 Mar 1859 HIs daughter had been born in Pembroke Dock in 1857 so they were probably on their way to Ireland then.
Can anyone find a birth for James McMullin 10 Mar 1859in or near Femoy son of Henry and Catherine nee Sharp or Logan( thats another story! she was born Logan but bought up by foster parents and married with their name Sharp)
nuttree

Postby MayHam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 pm

So happy you're happy. After re-reading your first letter, it occurred to me that maybe you weren't looking for Henry's baptism and siblings but rather his father's? Unfortunately, I couldn't find those records.

In response to the marriage inquiries, the only additional information contained on the page is all parties were Presbyterian. Apparently, the original records are held by "Derry Genealogy," which, I believe, is referring to this site: http://www.rootsireland.ie/derry-genealogy/

PR refers to Presbyterian. (I added the "C" to refer to Church.)
Scroll to the bottom of this page for explanations.
http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/generic.php ... esbyterian

My apologies for the oversight. With the exception of the first marriage (which occurred at First Garvagh Parish Presbyterian Church,) all the other records came from Castledawson Parish PRC. There is no record of occupation listed on any of the records, only the address "Killyberry Ballyscullion."

Looked for the McMullins/Logan/Sharp on the same site but didn't find anything. I'll keep trying, though.
MayHam

Postby nuttree » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:55 am

I was delighted to have Henry's baptism record and to find he had siblings too.
nuttree

Postby nuttree » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:27 am

We were delighted to have Henry's baptism and those of his siblings and half siblings. How odd that James Snr had three wives all named Mary yet no daughter with that name however Henry did have a daughter Mary and his first son was James he also had an Edward possibly named after his brother. Henry's son James had a son Henry James so the tradition carried on.
was it common practice to name children after the Grand parents first I wonder if James Snr was the son of a James and Jean may be one day we'll find who they were.
Last edited by nuttree on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
nuttree

Postby devonliz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Yes indeed - this is the 'Scottish naming system' in which the first son has the name of the paternal grandfather, second the maternal gfather, third the father... and after that, uncles etc. First daughter, maternal grandmother, and so on like the sons.
In my Scots-Irish Presbyterian family, the alternative system was used, in which the first son was named after the maternal grandfather, second after paternal, but it was consistent, so it can be used to confirm relationships.
NB if a child died, there was then a 'vacancy' in the names that might be filled with the next child.
devonliz

Postby nuttree » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Sadly with out knowing much about Mary we can't see if there was a maternal pattern in the names and the names we do have were not uncommon so it may all be coinsidence after all
:|
nuttree

Postby MayHam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:23 pm

I'm guessing not all the Bellaghy records are online. Here are some sites offering to do lookups.

http://www.ballyscullion.com/family-history.html

http://www.magheragenealogy.org/graveya ... dghs-area/

http://www.rootsireland.ie/derry-genealogy/

Hope this helps. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about the wives.
MayHam

Next

Return to General research queries