Moderator Control Panel ]

How do I know if my family tree is correct?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

How do I know if my family tree is correct?

Postby hannahplant2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 am

Hi all, I’m hoping I can have some guidance/advice.
I have traced my family tree roughly as far back as the first census using Find My Past. I really have been learning as I go so I’m not sure if what I’ve found is 100% correct as I’ve been dealing with a lot of Smith’s which is obviously a very common name!
I would really like to sit down with an experienced genealogist who can help me confirm what I’ve found/correct me where I may have gone wrong. Can anyone tell me if there are workshops/sessions I can book in the south east that would help me with this?
Thank you in advance for all your help.
hannahplant2

Re: How do I know if my family tree is correct?

Postby Sylcec » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 am

Why don't you join your local Family History Society? YOu will meet lots of experienced researchers who will be very happy to provide opinions or advice on what you have done and where to go next. They may also have regular meetings with speakers who could help with your topics.

If by south-east you mean anywhere near London, then the best place may be the Society of Genealogists in London, they have a massive library and a very full program of lectures etc.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am

I would echo both Sylvia's suggestions.

You can sign up for the Society of Genealogist newsletters without becoming a member. If you do join then you have access to their facilities in London as well as receiving a reduction in the cost of any courses they run. Their courses cover just about everything, some are free, and they regularly hold sessions for beginners.

The most important things to remember when researching is to 1. add citations to your research, there is nothing worse than going back to someone you have researched before and not remembering where you have found records 2. proving your research, don't just rely on one source but try to back up your findings with as many sources as possible, you would be amazed at how many times the same name crops up even though it is unusual, let alone when it is Smith Brown etc.and 3.start with what you know.Write down everything and speak to as many Family members as possible.

Finally Future Learn run a free genealogy online course. It lasts 6 weeks and is very helpful whatever your level of competence. Iwould recommend you look at it.www.futurelearn.com is the website.There is a course that started a couple of weeks ago butyou could still jump in if you have the time. If not the course is likely to be repeated later in the year.

Best of luck
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:41 pm

I'd echo the above suggestions, particularly the local FHS.

But can I say that you've already asked the most important question, which is, "How do I know if it's right?" Many people never ask that, but challenging yourself with that, all the time, is important.

Joining a local FHS is important not so much for local knowledge (important though that is) - after all, you may not live near where your ancestors did - but just so you can sit down talking things through. The very act of explaining something to someone else can actually trigger a light-bulb moment in your own mind. Many times, I've had someone sit down to me with a programming problem - they are halfway through explaining it, when they suddenly say - "Oh, what about...?" And off they go, thanking me profusely for the insight that I've given them. Now that I've retired, I can confess that, half the time, I've not had the faintest idea what they've been talking about! Or, in other words, "It's good to talk..."
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries