Moderator Control Panel ]

John Routledge - 1851... Is it him?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Routledge - 1851... Is it him?

Postby Narnster » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm stuck! My 3 x gt grandfather was John Routledge, baptised 19 Nov 1797 in Hayton by Brampton, Cumberland. He came from a large family who I've mostly worked through and a lot of records show that they lived in Faugh which is a tiny village near Hayton. They seemed to be farmers but John's older brother Richard seems to have got the farms and the family generally seems to have worked on them. I have a marriage to Jane Hetherington 17 Dec 1818, lots of children then a strange occurrence where a James Routledge is baptised 9 Jun 1833 and the parish baptism record says "To Jane Routledge, married woman, Hayton". A subsequent baptism shows a James Routledge being baptised to a John and Jane Routledge on 10 Jan 1836, again in Hayton. (James is left a considerable holding in his Uncle Richard's will, described as his brother John's son.) There is then a burial at Hayton of a Jane Routledge on 15 Jan 1836. I have located him on all the censuses except 1851 and the only potential fit is with a wife Ellen, in Carlisle, born in Scotland c1800. (1861, he's a widower - I know it's him because he's living with his son, Jacob, as he is in 1871 when they're back in Faugh.) Whether this is my JR or not I cannot find a marriage (I've looked between 1836 and 1861), nor a death for this wife (JR is a widow in 1861) neither can I find anything that helps to find her in 1841. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Attachments
John Routledge.PNG
John Routledge.PNG (43.46 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Narnster

Re: John Routledge - 1851... Is it him?

Postby Sylcec » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 am

Given that Faugh is such a tiny village it does seem likely that the John Routledge in Carlisle, who gave Faugh as his pob with wife Ellen born Scotland is your man in 1851.

Possible death for Ellen Routledge:
Sep 1853 Routledge Eleanor Carlisle 10b 398 - though unfortunately not as when I checked on the GRO Index it showed age as 1

On FreeBMD I could find no other Ellen, Eleanor or Helen or Nellie deaths in the right time period
in Cumberland.
Remote possibilities:
ROUTLEDGE, ELLEN age 55
GRO Reference: 1851 S Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 20 Page 216
ROUTLEDGE, ELLEN age 52
GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 232
Sylcec

Re: John Routledge - 1851... Is it him?

Postby Narnster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for those ideas. It would be strange if there was a connection to those places but you never know! I'll try to follow them up. I wondered if she'd died in Scotland, but again nothing. No marriage either, maybe they never actually got married! Hmmm.... I'll keep thinking. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Narnster

Return to General research queries