Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas WHITEFOOT, born Presteigne 1857.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas WHITEFOOT, born Presteigne 1857.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I am trying to discover the final whereabouts of a distant Cousin whose fate has proved to be a long-standing brick wall. I'd be most grateful for ANY assistance, tracing him.

Thomas WHITEFOOT, was born in Presteigne, Radnorshire in September 1857, and Christened in St Andrew's in the town on 30 September. He was the son of Thomas WHITEFOOT, a Farm Labourer from Clunbury, and Mary Anne nee ABLEY, a local girl. Mary Anne died in 1862, and Thomas Senior early in 1868. His only sibling, Sarah, had died before he was born. In 1861, his parents lived next door to his maternal Grandparents, Samuel and Tabitha Jane ABLEY, in Presteigne, so I suspect that they probably helped to look after Thomas, after his mother's death.

In 1871, Thomas was working as a Servant on a local farm, and in 1881, he was working on a farm in Grimston, Leicestershire, where his maternal cousin, Thomas FOSTER was lodging whilst he laboured building a nearby railway line.

On 20 December 1882, Thomas married Mary BOWEN in the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Knighton, Radnorshire. He was 26, a Farm Labourer and living on a farm in Norton (perhaps the same as in 1871). Mary BOWEN was born in Knighton in the mid 1850s. On marriage, she was aged 28, and worked as a Housekeeper in Llanfair Waterdine; her father, Joseph, was a Labourer.

Thomas and Mary moved to Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, and had a son, Thomas William, in January 1888. He died in March 1888 aged only 5 weeks, and was buried in St John the Baptist Parish Church, Dowlais, on 8 March. Thomas and Mary were still in Dowlais in 1891. They lived in Llewellyn Street, Dowlais, throughout, and Thomas worked as a Furnace Filler and as a Coal Tipper.

My last sighting of the couple is in the 1891 Census. There is no sign of them in the 1901/1911 Censuses, nor in Deaths, nor in Emigration records on Ancestry or Find My Past. Nor can I find the births of any other children.

[NB: The only trace of a Thomas WHITEFOOT with the same year of birth, is in Bridgenorth, Shropshire. He was a Wine and Spirit Dealer, of some status and position. He died in 1927. He is NOT identical.]

In truth, I suspect that Thomas and Mary possibly did emigrate, may be to somewhere less well documented, such as South Africa. But I can find nothing to substantiate this. PLEASE CAN ANYONE SPOT SOMETHING THAT I HAVE MISSED?

Many thanks,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Thomas WHITEFOOT, born Presteigne 1857.

Postby woodchal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Have you discounted

Name: Thomas Whiteford
Death Age: 62
Birth Date: abt 1860
Registration Date: Mar 1922
Registration district: Merthyr Tydfil
Inferred County: Glamorganshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 1138
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:05 pm

They were at 31a Llewellyn Street in 1891
At 31 Llewellyn Street in 1901 are
Thomas White Head 45 Coke ovens piler, born Radnor Presteign
Mary White Wife 45 Radnor Knighton
Joseph John White Son 7 Glamorgan Dowlais
Mary Ann White Daur 5 Glamorgan Dowlais
piece 5029 folio 35 page 8

Haven't yet sorted the children's birth registrations though.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Wow, Ian, this looks like them. It makes sense - the name became an embarrassment, and they dropped the '..foot' ending completely! Though I confess that I am embarrassed myself for not spotting it! Thank you so much.

This is actually a clear indication as to why sometimes, it is such a good idea to get a second pair of eyes on a problem, as you get too close to it and don't think outside the box!
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:22 pm

ianbee wrote:Haven't yet sorted the children's birth registrations though.

Registered as Whiteford. Mother Bowen
A baptism of Joseph Owen Whitefoot at Dowlais, 19 July 1893.
Mary Ann might have been baptized as White at Dowlais in 1901.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 pm

I now think that the death in 1922 is also probably Thomas, and will send for the Death Certificate to confirm it.

Looking at the 1911 Census, where the D/B is way off the mark, as well as the name, it becomes clearer why I never found them. On Genealogist, which I often use to search for really difficult-to-find people, Thomas WHITE was actually transcribed as Thomas DAVIES (the person on the line above was a DAVIES) although Mary was Mary WHITE. But when I looked for a Thomas and Mary in the same household (a facility available on the site) of course, they did show up, as they did not have the same surname.

Poor Thomas too, as it is also clear that he and Mary lost 5 children altogether.

Thank you SO much, Ian and Woodchal, as you have taken a collective sledgehammer to my brick wall!

I will post a summary of the Death Certificate when I receive it.

Thank you and kindest regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Here, as promised, is the content of the Death Certificate. It is, beyond doubt, Thomas WHITEFOOT, born in Presteigne in 1857.

Thomas was using the name WHITEFORD when he died, though when his wife died in 1933, she used the surname WHITE. Their surviving children used both names, their daughter marrying as WHITE, their son living as WHITEFORD. So:

Thomas WHITEFORD, aged 62 (actually 64) formerly a Labourer at Limekilns, died at 27, Cwm Dowlais (syn. Graig Cwm), Dowlais, Merthyr Tyfil, on 3 January 1922, of Paralysis agitans (now called Parkinson's Disease). His death was registered by his son Joseph John.

So thank you again to Ian and Woodchal, as I now have the solution to my question, in my hand.
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to General research queries