Moderator Control Panel ]

A small Eureka! moment...

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

A small Eureka! moment...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Just had a couple of days trying unsuccessfully to find some Bristolian relatives in the 1939 Register. After all, if they had been hatched, matched, and despatched there, it should be the logical place to find them. Right?
My last resort was searching on the wife's forename and likely year of birth; Amy & 1900. Whoopee! - only the surname had been transcribed as CANILIN instead of GAMLIN. However, as you can see from the pic, no criticism of the transcriber is meant or implied. How many of us would have put Canilin if we'd been chained to a desk in a dark room doing the transcriptions.
We all have our little Eureka! moments, I just thought I would share one of mine...
Gamlin - snip.JPG
Gamlin - snip.JPG (27.79 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: A small Eureka! moment...

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:57 pm

:) Well, I think I'd have had a "G" for the first letter, because of the cross-bar. But I'd certainly have had "NI" not "M". And it's only if you look really, really carefully and the wind is in the right direction, that you realise it is an "M" in the original - the chap appeared to lift his pen at the top right corner of the letter "M". Which actually also shows up on "AMY", but given that the "NI" was so clearly an "NI", I'd never have checked other letters!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm

I have to agree with Adrian about the ‘G’, but to my mind, the NI does not look like the M in Amy. The two right hand strokes of the NI are almost parallel as one would expect in NI, but the same two strokes in AMY are strongly angled towards each as one would expect in M.
Also, it seems the first two strokes were created diferently. In the NI they seem to be written in a continous movement, but in AMY, they seem to be two distinct strokes. :D

My best example of a mis-transcription, was ‘Jennings Korbery’, when it should have read ‘Jemima Rothery’ :roll:
Mick Loney

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 pm

I agree with the 'G' rather than 'C' and I've messaged Fmp to see if they will alter the transcription but I'm not holding out too much hope. Still, I now know who they are... 8-)
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby PaulH01 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Definitely a 'G', I'd say, despite the loop at the top of one and not the other.
Also: it looks like there is a dot above the 'N' - do you think this might belong to the previous letter, the 'I'?
If so then there isn't a dot for the 'I' if it were Ganilin.
Looking at more of the transcript should help confirm/deny either of the above.
But I'd agree it looks very much like Gamlin.
PaulH01

Postby Guy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 am

I would disagree but it really depends on your computer settings and screen contrast. On my computer (which I frequently (daily) use for transcriptions) I can clearly see the curve of the pen between the top of the letter M and the final leg of the letter it shows up on the M in Amy.

If however the transcriber had less contrast on their screen the stroke of the pen would not be continuous as others mention.
In case anyone has any doubt try looking at the image with the colours inverted (white text on black background).

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Cachalot6972 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:57 am

And that is a photographed page rather than the original page on which it may have been clearer.
Anyway, I've just checked again and Findmypast have allowed my correction; so all's well that ends well... :)
Phil

Cachalot6972

Return to Genealogy chat