Moderator Control Panel ]

Help finding WWI soldiers Service Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby warpo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am

Private Arthur Laughton: 13842 7th Lincolnshire Regiment.

I have searched for what seems like forever for service records but all I can find is included in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920. Document for this Private in the Roll was dated 1st July 1920 in Lichfield.

Can anyone advise me where I could go online to find his service records as I am in no position to travel to Kew?

I have full access to Ancestry and FindMyPast. Did wonder about Forces Of War, but not sure if they only provide the same documents that could be found on Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Many thanks in advance.
warpo

Re: Help finding WWI soldiers Service Records

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 am

I have not looked for this chap's records, but I am concerned by your phrasing. Do you realise that a fire in the Arnside St warehouse where the documents were stored during WW2, destroyed between 2/3 and 3/4 of Service Records from the British Army in WW1? Not to mention all sorts of other stuff.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm

I agree with AdrianB38. The chances of finding a complete1WW service record are quite slim. Although I was fortunate to have obtained my grandfather's record, my attempts at obtaining other family members records were not quite so successful. I have one that, although it was clearly just saved from complete loss, only the names and a few details survived the burning. On another, the writing is partially obliterated because of the necessary water damage. So although I have the right people, the amount of information I have been able to glean from them is very limited. Having said that, I have found some useful information by googling the name of the relevant regiment. There are regimental museums and archives and lots of sites that contain photographs, memories, accounts of actions etc. Even see if you can find the appropriate war diary at the National Archives. You might find something helpful. It is worth exploring every avenue.
brunes08

Re: Help finding WWI soldiers Service Records

Postby phsvm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

If you know his regiment you could try the regiment's war diaries.

They vary enormously - very largely dependant on who was writing them and how busy the regiment was at the time. I've been lucky in finding very detailed records for one man I was researching down to telling me he was picked for a specific raiding party which ultimately led to his death. But this is not the norm and it's usually only officers who get mentioned.

There should also be a regimental museum who will probably have an archivist who may be worth contacting.

If you know his military number it is possible to work out when he is likely to have enlisted/attested.
phsvm

Return to Military help