Moderator Control Panel ]

Edith Violet Gray born 11 Sep 1894 in Bristol, UK

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Edith Violet Gray born 11 Sep 1894 in Bristol, UK

Postby Beverley Stephens » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Edith Violet Gray was born in Barton Regis (Bristol) on 11 Sep 1894, her parents are Herbert Ernest Gray and Rose Howard. Edith was baptized on 13 Jul 1897 at St Lawrence Church, Easton, Bristol - the parents are shown as William and Emma Gray (nee Badman) who were actually her paternal grandparents. Edith was living with William and Emma and her aunts in 1901 and 1911.

The reason for living with her grandparents is unknown to me, her parents were married before she was conceived and her siblings were all living with their parents in 1901 and their widowed mother in 1911.

Edith gave birth to Maud Avent Gray on 10 Sep 1912, no father was named. The child was taken to the Foundling Hospital, London on 12 Nov 1912, she was re-baptized and given a new name and birth certificate. I know the identity of the father and Edith’s new name.

Edith’s aunts moved to 21 Swiss Road, Weston-super-Mare the year before she gave birth, wanting to stay close to her work as a milliner she moved in with her mother, at 2 Stapleton Road, Bristol. However, Edith’s address on Maud’s birth certificate is 21 Swiss Road, so she may have moved back in with her aunt.

Here the trail goes cold, I can’t find any further reference to Edith. If anyone can help me trace a marriage or death or anything else I would be really grateful.

NB There is a marriage for an Edith Violet Gray & William Wintle on 25 Mar 1950 but her age is 31, my Edith would have been 55, also the father is John William Gray, not Herbert Ernest Gray.
Beverley Stephens

Re: Edith Violet Gray born 11 Sep 1894 in Bristol, UK

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 am

I have just done a quick search on FreeBMD and found two Edith V. Gray marriages.

Edith V. Gray m. Francis E. Stott March Quarter 1940 registered Fulham, she would be aged 46.
Edith V. Gray m. William G. H. Wintle March Quarter 1950 registered Bristol, she would be aged 56,

I have calculated her age from the birth date you give of 1894, although you give her baptism as three years later. How did you find her age?

The child she gave birth to in 1912, have you considered that the name Avent, might be a surname, as on FreeBMD there are lots of births with that surname. Could be a clue here: perhaps the father's name?

I would like to clarify that where you state that you know Edith's new name, do you mean the child Maud's new adopted name please?

In the December Quarter of 1962 there is a death of an Edith Wintle aged 78 registered Bristol: this would be spot on with the birth year of 1884.

There is one in the December Quarter of 1961 with the same registration but this Edith is aged 79, making a birth year of 1882. I am sorry but I have no more time at the moment so have not looked for an Edith Stott.

I hope this is of some help.
KayFarndon

Postby Beverley Stephens » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am

Thank you for your help Kay.

Yes, sorry for the error, I know the new name for Maud.

Edith was baptized later (13 Jul 1897), I got her DOB from the birth certificate.

You are absolutely right, Avent is the surname of the father – my grandfather - but there is no one in the family, still living, that knew of this baby. And, I suspect that it may have been hushed up at the time.

I have the 25 Mar 1950 marriage certificate for Gray/Wintle, but I had disregarded it as the age and father’s name was wrong but the area of Bristol is correct. There is a birth of an Edith V Gray in Bristol Q2 1918, which would tie in with her being 31 in 1950 – I may buy this birth certificate if only to rule this marriage out.

Likewise, I will follow up your suggestions of the Edith Wintle death in 1962 and the Edith V Gray marriage to Francis E Stott in 1940. And the Q4 1962 death.

Thank you again for your contribution.
Beverley Stephens

Postby JMcK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am

It looks as though William G H Wintle May have been born in 1912. So her age may be diplomatically adjusted on the marriage cert.

Of course with either of those marriages she should be showing up in the 1939 index as Gray. I can’t see her.
JMcK

Postby sparrow » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 am

"Of course with either of those marriages she should be showing up in the 1939 index as Gray. I can’t see her."
In fact there doesn't seem to be any possible candidate in the 1939 Register (using DOB and first name only)
Puzzling.Which women were excluded from the Register???
sparrow

Postby phsvm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 am

"Which women were excluded from the Register???"

It anyone was excluded from the register it was their choice. However - if you didn't register you didn't get a ration book.

Initially, when the register was compiled a great number of men didn't register. Either because they thought if their names didn't appear on a list they would be overlooked for call up. One can understand why women who has lost husbands in the first World War were reluctant to see their sons join up and possible see them killed.

To avoid the problem of people registering the regulations were changed so that registering meant the issuing of a ration book.

After the war the register was used as the basis for issuing NHS numbers.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:00 am

Any women (or men) in the Services and on their bases were not in the Register - no need, they were already tracked.

For the rest, they should be in, but there are all sorts of reasons why they don't appear in FindMyPast, ranging from them being misindexed to their death not being matched to the Register entry. In that last case, the issue might have been in NHS days or after that when FindMyPast can't prove a match between the Death Certificate Index and the Register entry. Unfortunately, it happens.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sparrow » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Many thanks for the info , especially on why women might be missing.Well worth knowing for future reference.
sparrow

Postby sparrow » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Re Edith's childhood: sending an older child to live with grandparents was probably not as uncommon as we might imagine.As a toddler I lived with my widowed grandmother and my aunt for 2 years in the early 1950s because my mother had a miscarriage followed by a difficult pregnancy in poor rural housing. 'Adoption' (as per baptism) I agree is less usual, perhaps grandparents insisted she be baptised and this was the easiest way.Not sure of pre WW1 adoption practices/formalities though we have several de facto adoptions in extended family tree.
sparrow

Return to General research queries