Moderator Control Panel ]

1922 registration of Aliens Scotland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1922 registration of Aliens Scotland

Postby lalexa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 am

I'm looking for the Case papers for my G-Grandfather Fritz (Fred) Grenzinger who lived in Aberdeen 1900-1930. I found his Notice of oath of Allegience in Feb 1922 in the London Gazette and Edinburgh Gazette so I know he registered as an Alien to Naturalise as required at the time.
TNA keeps the Alien Registration case papers of the time for London Residents only. As he lived in Aberdeen I have tried online Scottish National Archive and Aberdeen City Archive with no luck.
I'm trying to find his case papers to see what he declared as his birthplace and if he names his parents as he fibbed several times about these facts to suit his circumstances throughout his life. I would expect at Naturalisation he would have had to tell the truth.
I would be eternally grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction for these archives. I'm in Melbourne Australia so can't trawl the archives in person at the mo.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
lalexa

Re: 1922 registration of Aliens Scotland

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:57 am

Hm. I'm not doing any better with Google trying to find any non TNA repository for naturalisation stuff - nothing either in my copy of the printed guide to the National Records of Scotland.

But I would just warn you that he's probably supposed to have told the truth on the other occasions and I doubt that the naturalisation process had access to any extra sources of information to cross check. You'd hope that they wanted as much formal documentation as possible and that he might have taken the process more seriously so told the truth. It's undoubtedly the thing to look for - but caution is still advised!

Good luck.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby lalexa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:22 am

Thankyou Adrian and I will exercise caution as you suggest if ever I find his records.

lalexa

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:06 pm

The papers should be at TNA (Kew).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/C4174881

The HO 144 reference suggests these are case papers, and they are usually very detailed in giving things like parents names, place/date of birth, date of entry to the UK, addresses lived at, details of his financial position, marriages/children etc. They should also have a police report into the applicants background and statements from people he gave as references.

His naturalisation certificate is also available

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /C11939045

(Alien Registration papers and Naturalisation papers are two different things)
AntonyM

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Don't know if you found him on scotlands people.
1901 census
St Machar,Aberdeen
Fritz Grenzinger aged 37, Hotel Chef, Born Switzerland
Wife Mary aged 33 born Argyllshire
daughter Mary aged 7 born Leith
son Edward aged 5 born Edinburgh
daughter Helena aged 4 born Edinburgh.
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby lalexa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Thank you Grace, I do have that info. I do appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Anton, I'm absolutely blown away by your post. Thankyou so much. I'm feeling a little red-faced as I suspect I read the TNA guide and when it said they just hold London residents papers I didn't bother to search for my old man. Yet another Lesson learned in this addictive hobby. Thanks again. L

lalexa

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:48 am

I obtained a set of naturalisation papers for someone I thought was related to me (but it turned out they weren't) The genealogical information was all in the form of a statement from the person. There was no requirement to have any confirming genealogical information, or any evidence that the authorities had checked anything. I think in respect of the genealogical details, the person could have said anything.

The emphasis in the documentation seemed to be to establish that he was a well respected person in the community, in stable employment.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AntonyM » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:26 am

MaureenE wrote:I obtained a set of naturalisation papers for someone I thought was related to me (but it turned out they weren't) The genealogical information was all in the form of a statement from the person. There was no requirement to have any confirming genealogical information, or any evidence that the authorities had checked anything. I think in respect of the genealogical details, the person could have said anything.

Very true - like any document it is dependent on the information given. However, the last set of naturalisation papers I looked at, involving people from what is now eastern Poland, had very detailed police reports which showed that at least some enquiries had been made to try and confirm the information given.
AntonyM

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:20 pm

After the Second World War the checks on people request British Nationality (or being re-naturalised as British) were more thorough with checks with local police, Special Branch and MI5 as well as checking up on the people supporting the applications. It was sometimes difficult to check on some information in eastern Europe (especially for people who had been in concentration camps).
junkers

Return to General research queries