Moderator Control Panel ]

Emily Mary JONES

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Emily Mary JONES

Postby SDV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Emily Mary Jones was born in Cirencester in 1854 to Samuel and Johanna JONES. She married John Edgar JEWELL/JOEL in Siddington in 1875. Her husband appears to use both John and Edgar as a first name, often switching the order of his first names.

In the 1881 census she is living in Siddington with her husband and his widowed mother. It would seem that they had 6 children together, the last being born in 1886 in Cirencester. Caroline Allen JEWELL/JOEL was named after her husband's mother, who died earlier that year.

She then seems to disappear from the record. In the 1891 census, her husband is listed under the name Edgar living in Oakle Street, Churcham, Westbury with his "second wife" Clara and 4 of his children from his marriage to Emily. Clara is aged 24 and was born in Chatford, Glos. I can find no record of a death for Emily or a re-marriage to Clara. Needless to say, I would like both of these pieces of documentation.

Anyway in 1911, Edgar, now using the name John, appears in Tewkesbury, living with a new wife, named Mary JEWELL. Once again I can find no record of a death for Clara or a re-marriage to Mary. My research suggests that this Mary was born Mary HORWOOD in Wheatenhurst in 1866 and that she married Arthur AMOS in Wheatenhurst in 1888.

Although I can find no marriage between John/Edgar and Mary, they would appear to have three children together. All given the name JEWELL.

John/Edgar died in Cakebridge Terrace, Cheltenham in 1904. Mary then re-married to Charles BARNES in Cheltenham in 1909. She married as Mary JEWELL and both gave Cakebridge Terrace as their address.

So what would I like to find:

(a) death certificate and/or burial notice for Emily Mary JEWELL/JOEL (née JONES)
(b) marriage certificate for John/Edgar's alleged marriage to Clara ?
(c) death certificate for Clara JEWELL (née ?)
(d) marriage certificate for John/Edgar's alleged marriage to Mary AMOS (née HORWOOD)
(e) burial record for Edgar/John JEWELL/JOEL
(f) death certificate and/or burial record for Mary BARNES (née HORWOOD)

Many thanks.
SDV

Re: Emily Mary JONES

Postby AntonyM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am

SDV wrote:Anyway in 1911, Edgar, now using the name John, appears in Tewkesbury, living with a new wife, named Mary JEWELL.

SDV wrote:John/Edgar died in Cakebridge Terrace, Cheltenham in 1904.

Can you clarify the above ?

SDV wrote:Although I can find no marriage between John/Edgar and Mary, they would appear to have three children together. All given the name JEWELL.

Do you have birth certs for these children, confirming where/when they were born and whether the couple were presenting themselves as married at the time ?
AntonyM

Postby SDV » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Sorry, my typing error. I meant 1901 not 1911. In the 1901 census, he is in Tewkesbury, living with a new wife, named Mary JEWELL.

As for the three children, I haven't yet got physical certificates, but the BMD indexes are pretty conclusive:

William George JEWELL - Q4 1897 Winchcomb 6a 369 [Amos]
Agnes Edith JEWELL - Q2 1900 Winchcomb 6a 435 [Amos]
Albert Edward JEWELL - Q3 1902 Cheltenham 6a 442 [Harwood]

Remember that Harwood was Mary's birth name and that Amos was her married name.
SDV

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 pm

I have done a lot of searching and drawn blanks everywhere, apart from finding the 1909 marriage.

I did find a marriage for a John Jewell in the June Quarter of 1881 in Ipswich to a Clara Louisa Burman, but doubt it is your Clara.

I looked for deaths for John Jewell, but without a birth year for him it is hard to define which might be him.

My first thought regarding all the marriages and the fact you can't find them, suggests bigamy, it does happen, but possibly parish records would hold more information for you.

I have just put John Jewell's name into Genes Reunited and the only men listed with this name were all born in the 1700's, so possibly much too early for you. Edgar Jewell though has thrown up several and born in Gloucestershire, so perhaps it would be worth you looking at Genes Reunited.

Hope this is of some help.
KayFarndon

Postby JMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 am

I agree Clara Louisa Burman is not the right one.

Because the younger children are with Edgar/John in 1891 I thought unlikely she had simply left, so therefore either deceased or in an institution but I can see no EJ nor EMJ that fit the latter and like you, no death.

I have not seen the annotation Second Wife on a census before!
JMcK

Postby SDV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:26 am

It is all a bit unusual isn't it.

If it helps, John Edgar JEWELL/JOEL was born 11 Mar 1849 at Siddington to John and Caroline JEWELL. He and Emily Mary were still living with his widowed mother in 1881.

After his various "marriages" he died as John EDWARD JEWELL on 19 April 1904 at 2 Cakebridge Terrace, Cheltenham. The "Edward" is a misspelling of Edgar and this is clearly the correct man. The Cakebridge address being the same one that Mary HORWOOD/AMOS/JEWELL used for her wedding to Charles Barnes.

So what I would still like to find are the following, bearing in mind that I don't think that there was a "marriage" to the mysterious Clara, who was born in Chatford c1867.

(a) death certificate and/or burial notice for Emily Mary JEWELL/JOEL (née JONES)
(b) marriage certificate for John/Edgar's alleged marriage to Clara ?
(c) death certificate for Clara JEWELL (née ?)
(d) marriage certificate for John/Edgar's alleged marriage to Mary AMOS (née HORWOOD)
(e) burial record for Edgar/John JEWELL/JOEL
(f) death certificate and/or burial record for Mary BARNES (née HORWOOD)
SDV

Postby SDV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

I have been looking at Gloucestershire baptisms for a Clara born c1867 in Chalford. It turns out that there aren't that many:

Clara Annie Knight Chapman (bap 1868) - eliminated
Clara Ellen DAMSEL (bap 1872)
Clara Ann GARDINER (bap 1863)
Clara Annie WHEATLEY (bap 1876)
Clara Rosa WHITING (bap 1863)
Amy Clara PETTY (bap 1861)

I intend to try and trace these today.
SDV

Return to General research queries