Moderator Control Panel ]

Myra JEWELL &Richard CURTIS

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Myra JEWELL &Richard CURTIS

Postby SDV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Richard Curtis was born in Cirencester in 1839 to Richard and Ann Curtis. He married Myra JEWELL in Cirencester in 1864. Following Myra's death in 1888, he re-married to Sarah Ann MAYO in Cirencester in 1889. In the 1911 census, he is a widower and road labourer, living in Sapperton, Cirencester, aged 71. My major problem with Richard is that I cannot find a death or burial.

Myra is also a bit of a problem, in that I cannot find a birth certificate for her. She was the daughter of John and Caroline JEWELL/JOEL and was baptised on 09 Jul 1843 at Siddington, Gloucestershire. In the 1851 census she is aged 7 and in the 1861 census she is aged 18, suggesting that she was born in 1843-4. Similarly in her marriage to Richard Curtis in 1864, her age is given as 21, again suggesting a birth in 1843.

Be aware that when searching the indexes that John and Caroline do not seem to name their children until their baptisms, so they usually appear just as Male or Female JEWELL/JOEL. To save the time, I can tell you that the Female JEWELL/JOEL from 1840 is her sister Leah, the Female JEWELL/JOEL from 1841 is her sister Sarah Rebecca and the Female JEWELL from 1846 is her younger sister Edith. Given that the family has registered all of the other 5 children born after 1837, I am surprised that Myra has not been registered and feel that I am missing something. I would really like to find her birth certificate.

One other little thing on Myra is that I can't find a burial for her. I know that she died on 02 Jun 1888 at Sapperton, Cirencester and would have expected her to have been buried locally. Her widower continued to live in the Sapperton area for many years after her death with his second wife. Again I would like to find her burial.
SDV

Re: Myra JEWELL &Richard CURTIS

Postby woodchal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Could this be about her?

Curtis
British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices
obituary: 16 June 1888 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Have you ruled out this death for a Richard Curtis of about the right age?

CURTIS, RICHARD 72 - 2nd Quarter 1912 in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 34
woodchal

Postby SDV » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks for the newspaper reference. Its a pity that it only confirms the date of death, which I already know from the death certificate. I was hoping that it would have had a little more detail. Still nice to have.

As for Richard's death, the Bristol reference may well be correct, though I have nothing else linking him to Bristol. I suppose the only way to find out is to order the PDF/certificate.
SDV

Postby woodchal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:03 pm

I only saw the index in the newspaper library, so I'm not sure what was in the article, though from what you say it was not very helpful.

Did any of Richards children move to Bristol, as he might have spent his last years with them - as you say, it is probably worth getting the certificate.

Good luck with your searches
woodchal

Postby SDV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am

I do not know of any of their children moving to Bristol, though it is always possible. I think I will have to bite the bullet and order the certificate.
SDV

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 pm

These are the four female Jewell/Joel or similar births that come up for Cirencester on the GRO online index:

JEWELL, - ALLEN GRO Reference: 1841 D Quarter in CIRENCESTER UNION Volume 11 Page 248

JEWELL, - GARDNER GRO Reference: 1842 S Quarter in CIRENCESTER UNION Volume 11 Page 237

JLES, MARTHA ELIZABETH BURGE GRO Reference: 1843 S Quarter in CIRENCESTER UNION Volume 11 Page 249

JEWELL, PRISCILLA GARDNER GRO Reference: 1845 J Quarter in CIRENCESTER UNION Volume 11 Page 239

Because there are two unnamed children, do you know Caroline's maiden surname?
Also, compulsory registration didn't start until 1875 so her birth may not have been registered; I know quite a few of my rellies weren't.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby SDV » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am

Sorry for the delay, but I have been away.

Caroline's maiden name was Allen. The first of the four entries refers to Sarah Rebecca Jewell, Myra's elder sister.

Neither of the other maiden names of Gardner or Burge mean anything to me, though I suppose there must be some connection.
SDV

Return to General research queries