Moderator Control Panel ]

John Duncannon - Not much else known

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Duncannon - Not much else known

Postby Sucher » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Having knocked down a brick wall with the help of you guys, a new one has sprung up. I’m looking for John Duncannon, father of Charles Duncannon. Having just obtained Charles’s wedding certificate, all I know is that John’s occupation was ‘soldier’. That’s it, Charles was born in Pickering, Yorkshire in 1802.

I’ve tried FamilySearch, Ancestry, Findmypast and Scotlandspeople, FreeBMD for deaths, FreeReg and National Archives without success. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Sucher
Sucher

Re: John Duncannon - Not much else known

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello
Only thing I can see is a possible baptism at Pickering for Charles.
Charles Kaanan 26.1.1802 s of John and Jane Kaanan irishman.
If you add Dun to Kaanan it might sound like Duncannon.
It's on FMP ,see what you think.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Sucher » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Thank you Ciderdrinker. Looks promising, I was wondering about a possible Irish connection as there is a place named Duncannon near Waterford. If this is my man, that would be three surname changes in three generations of the same family!

I looked at the FMP record but there's no more evidence than your summary. Thinking cap is now in place. Thanks again.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby Helen Stanley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

I have found a few missing soldiers and their families too for this period on the amazing website called FIBIS, Families in British India Society. It's all free to search and read and is excellent, although not everything is there as it's all posted by volunteers.
I had a quick look just with Duncannon and there is an entry there, but it may not be the correct one. If it gives you information you don't know anything about, such as a battle or a situation, you can look at their online reference section and it will tell you all about it.
Maybe it won't help you this time, but you can keep it ready for the next brick wall!

Best wishes
Helen Stanley

Postby Sucher » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Helen
Thank you very much for the suggestion. The dates are wrong for my Mr Duncannon but nice to know that the resource exists.

I think that my best route is to find siblings of John's son, Charles (b. 1802) or other descendants. If Ciderdrinker comes back to this thread, I'd be interested to know his route through to finding Mr Kaanan. I have found the birth of an Alice Maud Duncannon in York, 1888, daughter of William and Elizabeth. This is rather later down the line but the names Alice Maud are also used by Charles's son for his daughter. Could be coincidence but worth a try.

Regards

Sucher
Sucher

Return to General research queries