Moderator Control Panel ]

lost branch

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

lost branch

Postby skeletons42 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

Would like to solve a very big family mystery - can anyone help. Looking for details on my ancestor John Stevens. What I have been able to find out so far is the following. In 1842 John Stevens married a lady by the name of Ann Wicks in Broadwater By Worthing Sussex on the 17 May. They had about 5 children. At some point in the late 1860's John left this marriage. By the time of the 1871 census John is a lodger in a boarding house in Guilford Surrey where he met and started a relationship with Elizabeth Kircher. They went on to have seven children. I am a descendant of the second relationship between John and Elizabeth. I know nothing about Johns life prior to 1842. I can find no trace of any parents for John apart from perhaps that his mothers name might have been Mary and he was born anywhere between 1818 - 1822 in Sussex. In the census information I have been able to find that from the 1841 onward his occupation is listed as a tailor. Would be very grateful if anyone could shed a little light on this dark corner for me
skeletons42

Re: lost branch

Postby phsvm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Have you looked at the marriage certificate for John and Ann from 1842? Unless he failed to disclose the information, his father's name should appear on that, along with his age although it may just say 'over 21'.

Although a death certificate is only as accurate as the information known and given by the person who registered the death you may get an idea of his age from that. You could at least see if it ties in with the age he gave on his marriage certificate.

FMP also has a Sussex Baptism for a John Stevens in Hailsham in 1832. Parents John Stevens and Elizabeth. He may not have been baptised at birth so even though this is only 10 years prior to his marriage I'd perhaps have a look at that to see if you can trace this family to eliminate them from your search.
phsvm

Postby PaulH01 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:53 pm

FMP has the 1842 marriage and says mother Mary and father just 'Stevens'.

1871 Census in Guildford has his birthplace as Plumpton, 1821. You didn't mention that.
John Lloyd Stevens baptised Brighton 1825 parents John/Mary - at least the mother's name is right, but this one appears in later censuses and doesn't look like it's him.

1841 Census has John Stevens as a lodger with the Wicks family (including an Ann of the right age) in Chapel Street, Broadwater.... George and Sarah Wicks and 6 children. George is named as Ann's father on the marriage entry too, so if you haven't seen that one, it certainly looks like him.

There's an 1861 Census entry for John/Ann Stevans both born Sussex in 1821 with 5 children living in Frensham, Surrey, but he is a brickmaker so that's probably a red herring.
PaulH01

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

http://www.freereg has the marriage of Ann and John at St Mary's, Broadwater, abode of both was Worthing. Ann's father George, fisherman, and she was a minor. John was of full age, a tailor, and as PaulHOI says, where his father's name should be, it says Mary Stevens, which freereg remarks on with 'mother's name, Mary Stevens, entered in place of father's.' Witnesses were George Harlow and Sarah Russell. Witnesses could have been family members - do the names come up in your tree?
sdup26

Postby woodchal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I haven't looked up any records yet, but just wanted say that Frensham is not that far from Guildford. A lot closer than Worthing!
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:15 pm

A possibility
25 May 1817, East Chiltington
John
Base born Son of Mary Stevens
abode Westmeston
(mother) I thought it said Servant, but it looks like Peasant!
Image here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=690509

In 1851 John was 34, born Plumpton. Plumpton is between East Chiltington and Westmeston.

Also available on FamilySearch (need to be registered and logged in) - the 1842 Broadwater marriage
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=451874
ianbee

Postby phsvm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm

'Base born' means illegitimate.
phsvm

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Indeed it does.
And there was another one in East Chiltington in 1820 (three images on)
Mary Ann, baptized 31 December.
Yes, it says mother Mary Stevens was a Peasant. Never seen that before.
ianbee

Return to General research queries